Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody advise.

My Brera makes a brrrrrrrring noise at idle and low revs and is slowly getting worse. It use to come and go but is there most of the time now. It is really bad when the revs drop such as when you bring the clutch up. At higher revs it is less noticeable. The first thing I thought of was that it could be an exhaust issue such as a leaking manifold as it appears to be coming from the engine bay. However why would it come and go!! It's also worse when at low speeds and I can feel vibrations through the steering. I am now wondering if this could be a steering issue. I wouldn't have guessed that the steering could make that kind of noise but could it be the power steering pump? Having read threads debating the ins and outs of the steering fluids (red and green) and the updated reservoir I'm really wondering if this could be the problem (I have red fluid and I'm not sure if I have the old reservoir (57 plate but 210 Version). It isn't really a whining noise, like I said more of vibrating brrrrrrrr......and it often makes the noise from start up and is related to the revs as it appears to disappear from 1500rpm upwards. When the noise is present the steering is noticeably more notchy and steering at very low speeds (mini roundabouts/car parks etc) make the vibrations and noise worse. However could this still be the case if it was an exhaust issue, or something simple like a loose heatshield?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
512 Posts
Check your power steering fluid level for a start and if it is OK then go for some of the green fluid plus a new reservoir. About £50 total and is easy to do even for a novice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Ordered the reservoir and power steering fluid and taking her down to northern alfa performance for them to take a gander. Fingers crossed the noise I'm hearing isn't anything major !!! I'll post results on here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm having this issue too, came on suddenly. local trusted mechanic flushed through and put some new fluid in, no improvement.
How did you get on? Did the new reservoir fix the problem?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I'm having this issue too, came on suddenly. local trusted mechanic flushed through and put some new fluid in, no improvement.
How did you get on? Did the new reservoir fix the problem?
For me it did.

But that was after spending like £500 quid on a recon pump/rack check. Felt a little robbed.

Get the resevoir replaced

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I have had the fluid changed and the reservoir and vibrations have gone. Still feel our ever so slightly but I'm pretty sure that a car like the Brera with 18" tyres fitted requires a fair bit of load through the system. You won't be able to tell the difference between your current reservoir and a new one, but my old one was allowing air into the fluid causing the vibrations I felt. Just changing the fluid wouldn't have resolved it unless I changed the reservoir Aswell. Hope this helps. Mine wasn't whining or causing the fluid to bubble our of the reservoir but there obviously was still an issue with the Gi/e fluid and old style reservoir. .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts