Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fluid level is ok, slave isnt leaking and operates but pedal goes to the floor and stays there.

Possibly master cylinder but unsure if theres an easy way to fit.

Its had a new clutch awhile ago.

at work at the moment trying to fix it.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would it still fail of its own accord if it wasnt bled properly?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Get someone to watch the slave cylinder piston rod when you press the pedal down. If it's pushing the clutch release arm across then the problem is with the clutch itself. Maybe a collapsed release bearing or broken spring fingers on the friction plate assembly.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the arm only moves 1/3 of the way i checked it earlier when someone was here but knowone else here to help now.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
1/3 of the way doesn't sound right. Pull the lip of the rubber boot away from the slave cylinder body and see if any fluid trickles out (i.e. indicating a failed seal). If that looks OK and the fluid is topped up in the reservoir and the clutch definitely bled properly then it can only really be down to ruptured seals in the master cylinder.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after fabricating a rod to wedge the pedal down so i could bleed it properly out of a axel stand and several socket extenxions it feels ok, we shall see on the way home :lol:

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
may i add - Many thanks for your help! I owe you all a pint at some point!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Had the same problem and it was the slave cylinder. Could see how it was leaking when pressed and the brake fluid was missing too.

As the others already said if it is not the master cylinder then probably the new clutch has gone. I think you could notice master cylinder leaking by heaving a wet floor. Am I right?

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True, I've used it last night and this morning and it's been Good, no floppy movement on the clutch.

Checked master this morning and no leaks, checked slave and no leaks either but it was a new slave at the same time as the clutch I just found out.

Hopefully it will just have been air trapped in the system that caused it and me bleeding it got rid of it. :)

Hope I never have to do a master cylinder :lol: it wouldn't have been bad but the car wouldn't go into gear at all so couldn't even put it on a ramp :(

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Master cylinders don't usually leak externally so you won't see a problem visibly. What happens when the internal seals rupture/perish is that fluid just goes round and round inside them without any pressure being able to build up.

Not a nice job to change one (thankfully I've never had to do it myself yet) but if you remove the inlet plenum/manifold which takes about an hour, you can get to the master cylinder easily and end up with quite a lot of space to work in. I wouldn't fancy trying to do the job from underneath.

Anyway, hopefully it was just a bleeding issue which has now been sorted :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts