Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help needed please. I have a 1988 Sprint with newly fitted 16v from 33. My problem is there is no 12v supply getting to injection and fuel pump relay terminals 86? Have managed to start the car for the first time by adding a 12v supply directly from the battery. What's going on? Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Assuming the 88 sprint was running on carbs, there would have been no injection relay or wiring, and they have a mechanical fuel pump so no fuel pump relay or wiring either. These are some of the things you need to add when fitting a 16V engine.

Or have I misinterpreted your question?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming the 88 sprint was running on carbs, there would have been no injection relay or wiring, and they have a mechanical fuel pump so no fuel pump relay or wiring either. These are some of the things you need to add when fitting a 16V engine.

Or have I misinterpreted your question?
You are right the Sprint originally had carbs. But now have fitted complete 33 16v engine, loom and ecu.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hi,

The Motronic main relay (with a red and a pink wire at terminal 86) should
get +12V supply through the pink wire when the ignition is turned on.

If not the complete 16V loom was fitted just the engine related, you can
energize this pink wire from the ignition coil terminal "15".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

The Motronic main relay (with a red and a pink wire at terminal 86) should
get +12V supply through the pink wire when the ignition is turned on.

If not the complete 16V loom was fitted just the engine related, you can
energize this pink wire from the ignition coil terminal "15".
Hi, Have only fitted the 16v engine loom, where does this loom normally get its switched live from? I have the white wire connected to the coil already? Will connect the pink wire to the coil tomorrow and try.
Thanks for your reply and info.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The supply is branched from the ignition barrel to the fusebox in the passenger compartment,
from there it is wired to the relay group at the intermediate bulkhead.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The supply is branched from the ignition barrel to the fusebox in the passenger compartment,
from there it is wired to the relay group at the intermediate bulkhead.
Which plug on the engine loom does this switched live plug into?:banghead:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Look for a two pin connector with a pink and a pink-white wire. The connector should be near to the relays. Positive supply towards the fuel pump is also goes through this connector, so I assume the pump is fed from somewhere else in your case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look for a two pin connector with a pink and a pink-white wire. The connector should be near to the relays. Positive supply towards the fuel pump is also goes through this connector, so I assume the pump is fed from somewhere else in your case.
Have found the plug, I think this goes to fuel pump but I have added a switched live to the pink wire and this works well. The other wire to the fuel pump, pink and white, is this earth via ecu? If it is its not working.
Thanks for your help which is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hi, that's good news.

The pink-white wire is the positive supply for the fuel pump, which became interrupted
when the engine stalls for safety reasons. I'd suggest to connect the pump positive feed here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, that's good news.

The pink-white wire is the positive supply for the fuel pump, which became interrupted
when the engine stalls for safety reasons. I'd suggest to connect the pump positive feed here.
OK, have done that and all working good except fuel pump not priming when you first put the ignition on. Comes on when starting and then runs normally.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I think that's right - the pump usually won't run unless the engine is turning. A safety thing in case of an accident, to stop the pump pouring fuel into a damaged engine bay, etc.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
To my knowledge, the Motronic system won't run the pump unless it knows the engine is turning, so no priming. Later systems like those fitted to 156, etc have a fuel cutoff mechanism so they can prime.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts