Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 159 1.9jtdm tiSw for nearly 8 years and have not needed to post much on here, however since deciding to sell the car it's bitten back! I survived the 8 years with only one key with no problem until 3 weeks ago when it failed.

I managed to get into the car and remove the alarm siren so at least I could work on it. I found a guy on ebay doing new keys for £120 if you send the body computer.

So I now have two new virgin keys that have been programme to the body computer and i have the key code.
The instructions are now to use multiecuscan to add the keys to the key reader.

However I have an issue, I have multiecuscan and several different elm327 cables and Bluetooth odb2 connectors but without a working key I can't connect to the car.

I've been told that you don t need a key to access the body ecu and key reader however i cant get it to work. So it could be that my cable/interface or software are not working.

Please Could someone with multiecuscan confirm that you can access the body ecu without the key in the ignition.

Failing that does anyone have any ideas what else I can do to get this working before it goes to the scrapyard.

Is there a method for starting just using the key code like on older alfa? I can't see anything in the manuals

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just as an update - I ordered a new cable from ebay but I still couldn't connect to the TEG using the ebay version of multiecuscan 3.8, however I upgraded to the full version 4.4 and with the new cable I was able to connect to the TEG and register the new keys.

Having lost my only key I now have two brand new keys fully working again.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just as an update - I ordered a new cable from ebay but I still couldn't connect to the TEG using the ebay version of multiecuscan 3.8, however I upgraded to the full version 4.4 and with the new cable I was able to connect to the TEG and register the new keys.

Hi

Thanks for taking us through the whole process - I worry that I could get into the same position so it's great to know that I have now have a reference just in case!

Cheers
James

·
Registered
22 Posts

Hi I bought a 159 with just the one key and obviously I'm a little nervous about the key loss/breaking issue.
Can you be a bit more in depth about the whole process you have got through. Like where on eBay you got the keys, what exactly was required when they came back, complete newbie so all info would help and would be good for others who will find themselves in the same boat. Huge thanks if you can

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi I bought a 159 with just the one key and obviously I'm a little nervous about the key loss/breaking issue.
Can you be a bit more in depth about the whole process you have got through. Like where on eBay you got the keys, what exactly was required when they came back, complete newbie so all info would help and would be good for others who will find themselves in the same boat. Huge thanks if you can
I'd also be interested in your process... I had two keys but dropped one out of my pocket one day and never saw it again.
I went through proper channels to get a new key, but my car ended up bricking the old key and only programming the new one. So instead of old key + new key, I was left with just the new key... i.e. back to square 1 with only 1 key for the car.
I still have the old key but from what I understand there's no way to reactivate it to work as a transponder again... it's only useful to me now as an old fashioned key key to open the doors in an emergency.
Don't want to repeat the process and waste another £400 ordering another key from Italy but be nice to know if there's any other way around it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I've only just seen this. The keys were from an eBay seller in Lithuania username moreduff here is his listing https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/303151245743

It is necessary to remove your body computer and send it to him. Obviously the car will not be useable whilst this is out, postage to Lithuania is slow so expect to be without car for 2 weeks. You may need to enter the radio code at then end ao check now that you have one in your log book. Open the bonnet, lock car. Disconnect battery, alarm may sound (you can disconnect the siren but it has a battery and will continue to sound, however I wrapped mine in a blanket and stuck it in a box and it stopped after 20mins or so)
With battery disconnected, unlock drivers door with metal key (the other doors should remain locked as central locking won't work). Open fuse box door by drivers knee. Remove all the plugs, then remove 3 torx screws one at bottom and two at side, pull the fuse box forward and unplug cables from the back. The whole lot should now be free. The body computer is clipped to the back of the fuse board. Separate the two and send the body computer to moreduff. He will plug into your body computer using a different software (not mes) from it he can read your electronic security code. He will then take a new blank key (a copy not genuine - the plastic feels a bit different and it's a bit tighter in the key reader but it works) he will flash the new chip in the key with the security code read from your body computer and then send both back to you.
Reassemble the fuse board and body computer, it is straight forward all cables onlynfit one way and location and use lever clips to hold them in. Reconnect battery.
Put a key in the key reader on the dash, connect to your car using multiecuscan the full license version and using a known working cable. Connect to body computer section, go to the key reader teg menu, then go to adjustments tab. There is then a key programming option, there is an on screen help but basically you run the process enter the security code that came with your new key and enter each of your keys in turn then complete the process. Disconnect laptop, lock unlock check all keys work and that's it done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd also be interested in your process... I had two keys but dropped one out of my pocket one day and never saw it again.
I went through proper channels to get a new key, but my car ended up bricking the old key and only programming the new one. So instead of old key + new key, I was left with just the new key... i.e. back to square 1 with only 1 key for the car.
I still have the old key but from what I understand there's no way to reactivate it to work as a transponder again... it's only useful to me now as an old fashioned key key to open the doors in an emergency.
Don't want to repeat the process and waste another £400 ordering another key from Italy but be nice to know if there's any other way around it?
I don't think your other key should be bricked. If you have the security code (which someone will have needed to add your new key) you should be able to connect to the key reader using multiecuscan and run the key programming process adding any keys that you have (assuming they aren't physically broken and belong to this car ie have the correct security code in the chip)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah I do have the security code written down I believe as we had to get it from Alfa when programming the new key.
Got an MOT to get out of the way this week but if the car behaves itself then maybe after that I'll be brave and give it a go.
Did notice that when I connected MultiECUScan the other day, the error U1601 C-CAN Line error had popped up which I'd not seen before - seems to be something to do with either the key or the immobiliser but as neither is currently giving me any problems I'm not inclined to try and fix it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts