Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have recently bought a 156 1.9jtd 8v.

It had previously written off however purely cosmetic and it was to much of a shame to see it end up stripped.

It has 70k on the clock and had a few issues which I have started to rectify but in fixing some parts it has highlighted some others as usually is the case. When I'm off next I will be investigating further but would love some advice/recommendations on what it could be from previous experience.

Bit of background

Bought knowing the passenger wheel bearing mullered and driver tyre too

I replaced both front wheel bearings and driver tyre, this then showed wear in the track rods so they where replaced.

Now all quiet it highlighted a knocking over bumps so checked droplinks and replaced these.

Checked other suspension all seems ok. So had both wheels balanced and tracking set to 0 as per this forum.

Drives brilliantly except above 50 if you gentle press pedal you get a vibration through steering, floor and pedal.

The faster you go the more intense the vibration but only at certain throttle position. If you push down hard it smooths out but BACK TO quarter throttle and starts shaking again, lift off completely and goes away.

All tyre pressures checked.

Thinking need to check engine mounts and drive shafts but what else and has anyone heard this before.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds exactly the same as when my Drive Shafts were done in, putting enough strain on it would stop the vibration. At first it would anyway, after ~800 miles (a couple of weeks for me) it was just completely knackered. I don't know how severely a drive shaft can fail but I don't think I was far off from finding out in the end.

EDIT: And if you do need a new shaft try http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/
I've had mine in for two years now I think, and I've not had any issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info,

Weird it's only at certain throttle position but will check that when I get under it Tuesday, any chance you have a how to on it?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree about it being a probable driveshaft fault, Not had much dealings with 8v personally, mine have all been 10 or 16v, but I had the same problem with a 16v and they have tripod joints as the inner CV joint. Picked up one about 4 weeks ago off eBay for £34 (new) been perfect since. I have used j&r a lot in the past though, they are very good.... Just to add as a warning though, I tried parts gateway and got quoted £192 + vat for a used part!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Is it definately throttle position or speed related? Keep an eye on speed regardless of gear or throttle position. The reason I ask is that previously I had similar issues (many years ago) that was speed related (between 50 and 55 mph) and it turned out that a wheel balance had come off. 20p fix.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Thanks for that info,

Weird it's only at certain throttle position but will check that when I get under it Tuesday, any chance you have a how to on it?
I think you're on the right track. Drive shafts or less likely engine mounts. The vibration is a resonance thing.
If it goes when the clutch is depressed this is another sign.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Defoe not speed, it's there at lower speeds just not as prominent, it's like it's a resonating frequency thing,

When we say driveshaft do we mean replace the lot or just cv, as seems to be a lot around the cv on 2.4jtd but nothing on the 1.9 8v, is it the same box/driveshafts?

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
You don't need to remove the box to replace a driveshaft ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know I don't need to replace box, what I'm asking is it half shaft I.e. bolt of or is it spline into the box I.e. When pulled will cause oil to drop?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts