Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you follow the "what have you done with your GTA" thread you might know that my GTA got rear ended by an a-hole a few weeks ago. I have been lucky so far in sourcing parts locally to keep costs down and an insurance write off at bay however I'm stuck now with the last part I need which is a right side Xenon.

These things are like the proverbial Unicorn poop so any leads on where I might get one or a pair would be more appreciated than you can imagine. There is one set on ebay atm in Poland but one of them looks damaged so other options are welcome.

The other option I thought of was downgrading to standard lights as they are easy to get and way cheaper. Not sure if this is even possible though, I know I would need to change the connectors but do any of the ECUs need to be reset or programmed?

·
Registered
791 Posts
The other option I thought of was downgrading to standard lights as they are easy to get and way cheaper. Not sure if this is even possible though, I know I would need to change the connectors but do any of the ECUs need to be reset or programmed?
Don't downgrade to standard halogens, they're rubbish!
The retrofit route is worth considering. I have them on my car and they're great.
I'm upgrading my spare set of halogens at the moment for £175 including postage (not for sale, sorry :)).
Having said that your Xenons will have self-levelling which aftermarket options don't offer - It may be less hassle just replacing the Xenon unit if you can find one without breaking the bank.

Reactions: riauli

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You can also buy normal units and retrofit xenon projectors into them. I have done this too and it looks very good.
Yeah thats what I was thinking, so obviously the kits are designed to work with the standard lights and standard wiring but I have the Xenon wiring. Will the kit require me to change the connectors to standard first or can it be modified directly from the Xenon wiring to work with the kit?

Gutted to hear about your car hope you get it fixed.

Heres the only one I can find, silly money though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...+gta+xenon&dpPl=1&dpID=51CnlVHLu7L&ref=plSrch
Thanks Olly, and yes that is silly money lol!! If I knew insurance would cover it I would buy them anyway but don't want to risk the bill sending me over the write off limit

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Yup, you can "down grade" to standard lights. You need to modify the wiring harness using standard headlight connectors though. My 147 (see sig - progress thread, 1st page) had standard lights fitted where it left the factory with xenons.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
That's around the normal RRP of them, it is daft, bi-xenon headlamp units for my Porsche are half the price OEM from Porsche.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's around the normal RRP of them, it is daft, bi-xenon headlamp units for my Porsche are half the price OEM from Porsche.
Local suppliers in Australia want 1250 pounds for a new one! But in my travels around the web looking for headlights I found an Alfa 8C headlight for sale, with a broken mounting tab, for $US14,800 which put things in perspective lol

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hi,

Try Massimo at Auto Stilo UK Tel 07809 331082. Very helpful chap and knows a lot of people in the spare parts trade. [email protected]

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've known about these for ages but kept quiet as I wanted to upgrade my own. I guess they're better off keeping your car on the road:

Thank me later...
richard you're a legend! They seem to have more than 1 set so you can still upgrade :) I put in for a quote. As there are no part numbers on the listing I also asked them if they are def. GTA Xenons just to make sure as those prices seem too good to be true lol. I have a spare bedroom in my house, if you ever want to visit Brisbane you have free accommodation!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha turns out it was too good to be true, just called them and they only have the standard lights, they have just put the wrong pictures up. I have seen some at 395 pounds (no VAT) without ballast (which I can reuse off mine) that's the cheapest I can find so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts