Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my Spider phase 2 TS has just developed an odd problem. If I switch on the hazard warning switch all indicator bulbs pulse on/off normally and you hear the relay clicking in sync.

However when turning on left or right indicators on via the colum stalk all indicator bulbs pulse on/off rapidly and you hear the relay clicking rapidly in sync.

What could be the issue any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance.

Leeoh

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
Have you actually witnessed the indicators are flashing on the outside? Sounds much like a filament has blown. Also what year is your car? Could also be a problem with an alarm?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
blown bulb i suggest you view bulbs from exterior rather than relying on the instruments for reassurance the bulbs are working

its a bulb

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I saw a bizarre problem on a 147 once. The indicators were flashing rapidly, both sides, even though all lights were flashing and no bulbs were blown. Apparently the body computer on those later cars generates the high-speed flashing as a failure indication when it thinks a bulb is blown. As I recall, the problem was eventually fixed by replacing the body computer, after all light clusters had been replaced with no effect.

The GTV/Spider doesn't have a body computer, so we can rule that out. There is a conventional flasher unit, so the flashing is indeed affected by the total load on the circuit.

The question is, why are both sides faulty? Perhaps someone has fitted LED bulbs to both sides.

-Alex

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi folks,

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Turns out the problem lay with the metal tracks on one bulb holder being a little corroded and also a two filament bulb fitted rather than a single. Why it's worked ok up to now and is ok on hazards switch but not indicator stalk is anyone's guess...

Kind regards

Leeoh

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
yes rear light boxes that fit to the long single lens are prone to corrosion

1 - 6 of 6 Posts