Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Help needed - power loss for 1 minute

Tags
loss minute
2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  kkkrisss 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I experienced the following problem today. The car was already hot and I had to stop for a few minutes. When I started it again everything seemed fine but when I tried to accelerate it had no power. It would not rev past 2000 rpm. No power at all...it was struggling up a hill. I decided to stop, pulled the handbrake and waited for a minute without turning off the engine. After 1 minute I tried to accelerate and everything was fine. When the problem occurred there was a beeping from the computer but no warning light. As soon as I got back home I used my diagnostic equipment to check the faults in the ecu...surprisingly there were none...
Any ideas what's wrong?

Alfa 147 1.6 TS

#3 ·
All I can possibly think of is a loose connection on an injector or a temporary fuel blockage that has thrown the ECU into limp home mode... Although I would have thought that at least some record of the the fault would be there when running the diag. Some cars don't though:rolleyes:

Check the connectors and give it a nice fuel treatment as a preventitive measure. Redex or any propriety stuff will do. ;)

#8 ·
+ 1 .... my thoughts too

#12 ·
It maybe because as you have already said that there was no fault codes m8 to lead it to being a faulty MAF... The usually do throw a few up on Diag.

If the car is running right, then it's highly unlikely to be the MAF, they don't cure themselves, they just get worse.
Many, many owners get a "phobia" or "hang-ups" about the dreaded MAF issues... :rolleyes:
In reality.... They often change them based on advice from others (not their money they are wasting) when quite often, a good clean of the plug contacts or at worse, cleaning the MAF itself would suffice... 20 minutes worth of your time or £120.00+ for a new part. I know what I would try first:thumbs: After all, of course it does the trick... It should do as it's a new part! Yet they don't actually try cleaning the old MAF and trying it back on... DOH!
Don't worry about the MAF just yet m8:)

#16 · (Edited)
The engine kept running without any problems. It was only when I tried to move the car that I experienced the problem. It was hard to move it at all. I would say it looked like a misfire. I have experienced a misfire in the past but it threw a fault in the ecu and the engine management light was on all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.