Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2004 GT 3.2
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help out my 159 has started to sound more like a tractor than a V6 ? i know its partly down to injectors needing a clean but can i also hear the dreaded knock?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Sounding as you describe (a tractor) would indicate to me more than just the injectors need a clean. That would at most cause a misfire, not a knocking sound. Before you think I'm sounding patronising.
The first thing is :-
A) does the car have an engine warning light on, or any display message flashing.
B) does the car have enough oil? What's the oil reading like on the dipstick?
C) have you checked the ODB socket with a code reader?
At worst by the sound of what you are saying is:-
You could have a timing chain fault.
You could even have a crankshaft/Rod bearing spun on you.

Both have been known to happen on these V6's. Can you post a video link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 GT 3.2
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cant seem to upload the video but i dont have any warning lights and oil reads right level on dipstick the other causes sound painful and expensive ? i assume this could be terminal?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
By listening on my phone it was hard to say. I could hear the knock, didn't sound as bad on idle as what I would of thought. Maybe if the video had the engine running at a fast idle it'd sound worse. Funny enough a friend of mine in the same room who was making a cuppa said. Is that a tractor? Without even knowing that I was playing a video. Take it to your indie I would suggest to see what they say. As they could hear exactly where it's coming from. Hopefully it's not the primary chain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
46,654 Posts
Hard to tell from the video really, needs to be looked at by a garage. If you can hear an audible knock in time with engine revs it could well be bottom end trouble, not much on these engines seems to knock, and quite a few of these have had bottom end failure now.

·
Registered
464 Posts
can anyone help out my 159 has started to sound more like a tractor than a V6 ? i know its partly down to injectors needing a clean but can i also hear the dreaded knock?
Hi there,

I cannot listen to your video as I'm at work but my Brera 3.2 sounded like a tractor and it was the timing chain a tooth out somehow. Had it recovered to Ned at Autolusso who changed the chains it's as good as gold now.

Before I realised it was a timing chain issue I thought it was a hydraulic lifter/tappet. At the time the engine seemed to be drinking oil like anything.

I hope you get to the bottom of this and it isn't to costly!

·
Registered
2004 GT 3.2
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
guys thanks for your replies, the knocking dose get louder with higher revs, worset between 2500 and 3500 starting to fear the worst now

·
Registered
39,147 Posts
Sounds like the main bearings to me. :(

On a big end knock it will usually get worse very quickly, like in the space of a mile or two.

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
guys thanks for your replies, the knocking dose get louder with higher revs, worset between 2500 and 3500 starting to fear the worst now
Bring it in we can sort it out for you

If it is timing chain we have full kits in stock but be warned some of the parts are starting to get hard to come by

If the timing chain jumps it will take the engine out and write off the car

Ned

·
Registered
2004 GT 3.2
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah its become louder on the way home from work this evening so its staying firmly on the drive untill sorted.

Ned thanks, but im based in south essex so doubt it will make the trip up to you guys on its own steam so may have to wait untill budget and trailer allow.

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
yeah its become louder on the way home from work this evening so its staying firmly on the drive untill sorted.

Ned thanks, but im based in south essex so doubt it will make the trip up to you guys on its own steam so may have to wait untill budget and trailer allow.
We get people coming a lot further then that for this job as most places won't entertain it or if they do will mess it up, be careful

But as you say best not to drive it until it is sorted

Ned

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Stop running the engine. Take the oil filter cartridge off and check to see if you have any metal shards in the oil filter housing/cup. Sounds like someone just said - could be spun bearing. You could end up with a crank as shagged as my spare Brera in the garage. And the crank can't be re -aligned.

Best guy for your problems is Paul Newton at Ipswich. But the car should not be run - again. It will need a tow there.

·
Registered
2004 GT 3.2
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers Ned must admit you guys are my place of choice i will need to sort out a trailer to get it over to you also need to find a buyer for one of my children to finance the repairs.

once i have sorted that bit out can i give you a call to book in? i have your main number.

·
Registered
39,147 Posts
How often has it had the oil changed?

Long service intervals (as in the service schedule) or more frequent?

·
Registered
2004 GT 3.2
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
from what i cam tell in the service book once a year at varying mileage intervals

1 - 19 of 19 Posts