Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's filled up through the hole that the reverse light sensor/switch screws into. Take that out, and fill up until the level reaches the bottom of the hole.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don't think it is the reversing light switch, it should be a hex plug about half way up the front side of the gearbox.

B

·
0 Posts
nosbork said:
I don't think it is the reversing light switch, it should be a hex plug about half way up the front side of the gearbox.
:D Aye,squeeze the stuff in here until it runs back over yourself,then whack the plug back in quick sharp....you'll only spill half a litre of HP90 on a good day :p

:rolleyes: Triffic design innit?........old Saabs etc had a gearbox dipstick,you could check your level and top up whilst wearing your Sunday best if so inclined......bit too easy for the Italians eh?

·
Registered
309 Posts
The access point is the an allen bolt on the side of the box, towards the front of the car, near the air filter housing. Have the car on level ground and remove plug, top up to the top of this bolt, ie until it overfills.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was sure the reverse light switch had something to do with it... according to the manual you check the level through that (should reach the bottom) and fill up via the hole above it.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's in the workshop manual rather than the handbook, forgot to mention that. It does seem to contradict what's in the handbook, which says to fill to the bottom of the (higher) filler hole. The workshop method seems to be more sensible as it avoids spillage out of the hole you're filling, but then it doesn't help matters by referring to the switch hole as the 'filler hole' when you're meant to fill via the other one :confused:

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's near the end of the Technical Data-->Maintenance section, page reference 00/63 (just after changing the brake fluid).

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hmmmm, yep, found it, the manual actually tells us to do it two different ways but as there's a filler hole right next to the switch I would go for using the filler hole as the level. What do you think?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Since the filler hole is higher than the switch hole, the way I understand it you'd fill with the higher hole and monitor the level by the bottom hole. With a funnel/pipe in the filler hole it would start coming out before you'd know it was time to stop. Filling to the bottom of the switch hole would stop the switch being permanently submerged in oil, which is presumably what would happen if you filled to the level of the higher one. And if you ever needed to replace that switch, wouldn't a load of oil come out? It seems logical to me to fill to the bottom of the lowest hole for that reason, if nothing else.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yes I've read the workshop manual several times and still find it misleading.
They recommend removing the reversing switch, the filler plug (higher one) and then "fill with the correct amount of oil" ie 2 litres. No mention of using the lower hole as the level check.
Every other car I've owned since the 60's has had ONE filler/level hole for the gearbox. Then it's obvious.
I'd tend to go with the switch hole as the level, but I have this old-fashioned idea that workshop manuals are there to take the guesswork out of servicing. Silly me.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I was about to write:
"The level is the Allen bolt hole, not the reverse light switch."

But after checking Autodata, strangly the reverse light switch hole is shown as the level...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts