Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, came out this morning and the car had unlocked itself during the night. Still alarmed.

Now, whether I lock it with the key, push down on the buitton or lock it with the alarm, the central locking just pops the buttons straight back up. I can not lock the car. VERY SERIOUS !!

I've searched this forum for previous problems like this and found 1 topic.

I have made sure all doors, boot & bonnet are closed properly. I have tried every combination of locking and unlocking from inside and out, passenger side and driver side. Nothing works. I have sprayed WD40 into the locks as was suggested on here. I rang Gerry Campbell and he said to remove the central locking fuse so that it can be done manually. Now I just need to know which fuse controls the central locking, as I've no fuse cover to guide me. Hopefully (as I sit in work til 10pm) the WD40 will loosen up anything that was sticking on the front door locks, and it'll be sorted by the time I leave, but any suggestions and stories of how you solved this problem would be very much appreciated until then !!

The car is safe in work, but certainly not when I get home.

Yours worriedly !!!!!
Brian frown

G

·
the problem will be with either the drivers door lock or the front passengers door lock, as these are the only two locks which unlock all door when used.

i waould say one of the switches for these which 'sense' if the door is closed or open may be sticky/jammed or has died. the car still thinks it's open, so therefor pops all the doors open again...

try taking the doorcards off to get to the solenoids and pulloff/clean/re-plug on all cabling to the locking units... this should sort you out.

hope this helps.

for now.. park another car infornt of it in your driveway.. it'll stop people from knicking the whole car.

rgrds

J

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No driveway, it's an old house, car gets parked on the road :(

Thanks for the tip though, I'll probably get around to that tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone have access to the fusebox map and could they direct me to the central locking fuse. This would solve the problem temporarily. I have no way, other than trial and error (a lot of fuses), to find which one it is frown

G

·
The "door locking ECU" is a blue relay in the fusebox and the "door lock" fuse is a 20a (yellow), there should be a little door symbol with a key on the fusebox.........you have to look closely wink

Just had a similiar problem today where the front passenger door was locked and the others opened ok but would not lock again. I'm putting it down to the heavy rain as its never happened before. Gonna wait until it dries out and spray everything in sight!!! It eventualy opened and I can set the alarm, still worried though as I'll be leaving it in town tonight when i do a gig....not really gonna hear the alarm over the noise eek!

wrinx

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wrinx:
The "door locking ECU" is a blue relay in the fusebox and the "door lock" fuse is a 20a (yellow), there should be a little door symbol with a key on the fusebox
Cheers wrinx. If I pull out the 20a fuse is that enough ? Do I have to do anything (or can I do anything) with the relay ? Or did you just mention it to confuse me wink :p

G

·
Mentioned both just in case, I'd pull the fuse first and see what happens, then the ECU wink

Is it too much of a coincidence that this has happened at the same time as some of the heaviest rains we've had for a while???

wrinx

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe not. I did have someone in the back messing with the window yesterday while it was pissing rain. I dunno :(

Thanx for clearing that up anyhoo wink

·
Registered
550 Posts
1) check the fuse like Wrinx says
2) check the relay that comands the locking
3) if not, you have to do what jason77 says

GOOD LUCK BEALZBOB !

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well last night I alarmed the car and it locked itself, and stayed locked. For about 2 hours !!!

Then, on the off chance before I went to bed I went back out to check it (I didn't touch the car honest!!) and within 5 minutes it had opened itself, setting off the alarm in the process.

So I whipped out the CL fuse (thanks wrinx, it's yellow 20A just like you said :D ), and it's 5th one down on the side that has the bigger fuse box type thingies beside them :)

Now I have no central locking temporarily, but I can live with that.

·
Registered
550 Posts
ANOTHER THING TO CHECK IS THE SWUITCH THAT IS IN THE REAR LIGHT ROOF THAT IS COMMANDED WITH THE ALARM BIPPER.
YOU HAVE TO TAKE OUT THE LIGHT AND YOU INMEDIATLY YOU WILL SEE THE SUITCH. CHECK IT AND IF YOU CAN USE A GOOD MAKE OF SPRAY CLEANCONTACTS.
THIS WORKS VERY WELL IN MY BABE.

REGARDS
JORGE

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
This is a common fault on Alfa 146 models. When it rains, water gets down the sides of the front windows and shorts the central locking so the car magically unlocks all the time. The only cure is to dry them out completely - this usually means getting the inner door lining off.

With the heavy rain we have had it is a bit suspicious that you have a similar problem!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts