Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was approaching a major roundabout in rush hour in my 2001 Spider TSpark. As I slowed to give way and enter the roundabout, the car seemed to stall, I tried to restart but it was dead and the hazards wouldn't come on either. It was terrifying, had to call the police to uplift it. Recovery garage said bizarrely the car would start last night. Alfa garage suspect the Alternator has gone and are quoting £190 to replace it. Already had to pay £100 for the police recovery, £70 to have the car taken to the Alfa garage, and beyond the cost I'm far more spooked by how lucky I was not to get killed or cause a major accident, lost all confidence in the car.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Last night I was approaching a major roundabout in rush hour in my 2001 Spider TSpark. As I slowed to give way and enter the roundabout, the car seemed to stall, I tried to restart but it was dead and the hazards wouldn't come on either. It was terrifying, had to call the police to uplift it. Recovery garage said bizarrely the car would start last night. Alfa garage suspect the Alternator has gone and are quoting £190 to replace it. Already had to pay £100 for the police recovery, £70 to have the car taken to the Alfa garage, and beyond the cost I'm far more spooked by how lucky I was not to get killed or cause a major accident, lost all confidence in the car.
Hi Pamela,

Before it died last night, has the red battery/alternator warning light been on/glowing at all for a while to indicate a charging fault ?

From your description sounds like the alternator has not been charging the battery at all for a while, hence why even no battery power left for the hazard lights.

Leeoh

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Alfa garage suspect the Alternator has gone ...
They may be right, but it sounds like they're guessing at the moment.

Was there any strange behaviour immediately prior to it dying e.g. the speedo/rev counter needles being very erratic. Did the dashboard start lighting up with all the warning lights - especially ABS and airbag?

It's worth checking that the battery is properly secured. It could have moved and shorted out on the bodywork.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
£190 for a replacement alternator - thats cheap if fitting is included! If included, I would bite his hand off

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
If the car started last night at the Alfa garage, why would they think it was the alternater if it this has only happened once? Are you sure the hazards didn't work? you were clearly scared by the event, whch is understandable, but it is easy to be panicky, breaking down on a busy roundabout. I think a further inspection would be advisable. It's easy to jump to the wrong conclusion. How long have you had the car and when was it last serviced? Don't give up on the car yet, even new cars break down. Let us know how things go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts