Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am a new user to here and have had my 2.0L 156 Selespeed for 2 years. It was working fine until yesterday. This morning (very cold) I went to start it up... and it would not crank over. Electrics seem fine and fuel pump sounded like it is working. Some fluid levels were low so I have topped them up. Tried a jump start to see if it was the battery but the same result. Interior lights still bright when opening the door, and central locking fine so I don't think it is the battery. Had a problem previously where the gearbox leaked oil but had this welded and this does not seem to be the problem as parked it in 1st gear as recommended, and it went to neutral straight away but would not start. Just getting a clicking noise when I turn the key but nothing else happening. Could it be a fuse problem, or has anyone some other idea as to what I could do to fix this?

I hope someone can help

Thanks

Nic

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. I am a new user to here and have had my 2.0L 156 Selespeed for 2 years. It was working fine until yesterday. This morning (very cold) I went to start it up... and it would not crank over. Electrics seem fine and fuel pump sounded like it is working. Some fluid levels were low so I have topped them up. Tried a jump start to see if it was the battery but the same result. Interior lights still bright when opening the door, and central locking fine so I don't think it is the battery. Had a problem previously where the gearbox leaked oil but had this welded and this does not seem to be the problem as parked it in 1st gear as recommended, and it went to neutral straight away but would not start. Just getting a clicking noise when I turn the key but nothing else happening. Could it be a fuse problem, or has anyone some other idea as to what I could do to fix this?

I hope someone can help

Thanks

Nic
does the selespeed pump run when drivers door is opened?if so check fluid level first

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
possible starter motor problem,give it a tap or could be loose connection on battery or bad earth again check for loose connections.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fluid level was low so topped it up. have just tried to start it again with door closed, no joy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

Thanks for the help. Did a bit of looking up possible problems after topping up the fluids. Found a suggestion to put the car in 1st before starting this morning, it started no problem. Just tried it again & started Ok, gears changing no problem. Will check again in the morning, may just have run low as I am guilty of not checking fluid levels:tut: Could still need repair but will keep an eye on it

Will definitely use this forum again :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts