Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been an avid reader of the forum and have managed to solve many a problem by searching through the great content on here over the years, however I am now flumoxed. sorry for the essay below but want to give as much detail as possible.

I have a P1 2.0ts GTV and on Tuesday stupidly left my stereo on overnight and awoke to a flat battery. Any way managed to pull the battery out from its tray to attach jump leads and managed to jump the car and everything was fine until this morning when strange things have happened.

1.) Started the car this morning and switched on wipers to clear the dew..... nothing no movement at all, was in a rush so started driving to work, a couple of minutes in and the wipers start going of their own accord, strange thing is the wiper stalk is in the off position, and cant get them to stop until I switch the engine off. Start the car and they go again, tried all settings on the stalk and they just do what they want but will not stop. So did some research on here and it looks like it could be the N17 relay next to the fuse box, seemed to fit the profile of the problem but then more trouble.....

2) as I pulled up at home from work my stereo flashed off for a second as I hit a bump, so I thought maybe a loose wire, went to remove my stereo to check and heard a little crack, now the stereo (an alpine) just flashes on then off again continuously?

3) Went to drive to a friends this evening, with wipers going full blast, stereo flashing and suddenly noticed that every time I press the brake pedal both my footwell lights come on, how strange is that? So I got my friend to check and my brake lights are also not working when I hit the brake. All other lights and indicators seem to work ok.

Does anyone have an idea of what may have caused this or what to look for, I dont kmow if the jump start of the battery has done something or it is just coincidence and the wipers and lights are completely unrelated, but if anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate hearing them.

Cheers guys

·
Registered
190 Posts
Get a Priest and get a priest FAST! :eek:

Exorcism is needed. :vomit:

Sorry Fletch Aussie humour, don't have a clue but sounds serious.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Check the battery terminals and clean all the connectors you can find and check and clean the earthing straps to the body engine and gear box.
Sound like you have a bad contact somewhere.
I know it will take a while but use a good contact cleaner on all the fuses relays and plug connectors you can find especially under the bonnet by the battery.
Follow the instructions on the can you normally need to spray and let it dry for 10 mins before you re connect.
Disconnect the battery and charge it to make sure it's fully charged but if you have a coded radio make sure you have the code before you disconnect your battery.
This is a real worthwhile bit of maintenance on all the Alfas as they can suffer from strange electrics. :thumbs:
A tired battery can also cause some very odd behaviour but take the time to clean first.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Don't know if this helps,but i was testing a jvc stereo recently using a wallplug 12v supply.It acted like yours,constantly flicking on and off.Checked with a multimeter and the wallplug was only giving out 11volts,swapped it for a wallplug giving 12volts and the stereo worked fine. Maybe your battery is either still not fully charged or more likely ,knackered.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input guys.

I have checked the terminals on the battery and they are in spotless condition, but checked and tightened everything to be on the safe side.

Could anyone point me to where I would be able to find the earthing straps for the gearbox and engine so that I can check these as suggested?

I don't have a battery charger so is it worth me popping to Halfords to get it tested or are they no good?

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
did you have the ignition switched off and the key out when you attached the jump leads??

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
did you have the ignition switched off and the key out when you attached the jump leads??
+1. :thumbs:

I cured this by disconnecting the battery, earth lead off, for about 10-15 mins, the reconnect the earth. Make sure the key is no where near the ignition barrel, as connecting the battery can arm some make of car alarms.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Seadart and Stixy, I will go try disconnecting the battery now.

I am not sure if I had the key in or not when I jumped it, but could quite easily have. Checked the battery earlier with a multimeter and it was at 12.9 so all seems good there.

Fingers crossed the disconnect works.

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
When battery is reconnected, just turn ignition on, to make sure all warning lights are functioning correctly, before starting car.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Check all your fuses, one of them has gone.

I had your exact symptoms in my P1 gtv a few years ago. It was explained to me thus:

Allegedly Alfa decided to go all clever and tried to get the electrical system to bypass a blown fuse by attempting to re-route power through other systems. It sounds really hi tech and terminator like, except of course it doesn't work and results in bizarre behavior like you are seeing. As far as I recall when my car was doing it the horn went of when I used the indicator...!

Find the fuse that has blown and replace it and all will go back to normal again. Start with the fuse for the wipers.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Check all your fuses, one of them has gone.

I had your exact symptoms in my P1 gtv a few years ago. It was explained to me thus:

Allegedly Alfa decided to go all clever and tried to get the electrical system to bypass a blown fuse by attempting to re-route power through other systems. It sounds really hi tech and terminator like, except of course it doesn't work and results in bizarre behavior like you are seeing. As far as I recall when my car was doing it the horn went of when I used the indicator...!

Find the fuse that has blown and replace it and all will go back to normal again. Start with the fuse for the wipers.
This sounds like something Alfa would do. Why make out customers change a fuse when we can relay the abs through the internal lights.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you Cibo and everyone for their input. Found a blown fuse, which has sorted the brake lights, footwell lights and car stereo, so these and the wipers were unconnected. So the wipers still seem to be a problem and will not switch off for love nor money, but after much reading on here it does sound like the N17 relay, so going to see if I can source a replacement to try.

This forum is such an excellent place and I really do appreciate all your input and help.

Thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts