Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did something stupid and blew up my Busso´s electrics - please help me get her back on the road!

I have a 2001 156 V6 Monza (q-system) that has been my daily driver for over two years- just about to hit 150k kms.

I had a few little things to fix up that required me to remove the centre console. The yellow tab under the gearstick cover to change gears broke off a while ago, so left the battery connected to put it in Neutral and remove the centre console. After a big day I went to connect it all again forgetting the battery was connected. When I plugged in the hazard light button it shorted out. Not sure if I mis-plugged it but I must have activated the switch. I realised I had no hazards nor indicators, checked 10A fuse for indicators which had blown and replaced it, went to bed. The next day the car started fine and hazard lights worked (relay clicked, all indicators flashed) but the indicator did not respond (no relay clicks)
Also not working were the wipers, wiper spray, side mirror adjusters and all window controls. the A/C did not work at all yet the rear window defroster did. The dash shows no error lights, the horn still works as does the engine and headlights. I checked and tested all fuses and MAXI fuses, no others had blown.

Plugging into the computer with a cheap ebay cable, adapters and old version of MultiECUscan I found no errors in the main ECU but the Climate Control ECU did not connect at all.

I tried to measure voltage at the window switches and the side mirror cable when activating switches but could not get a reading of any volts.

I assume I have fried this Climate control ECU.. I found one on gumtree from a 98 156, part number 60651187.. however I cannot find where it is located. I can never get on eper so use https://alfa-romeo.7zap.com/en/156/t7/11683900-099/ yet still connot locate this Climate Control ECU. Does anyone know where it is?

From looking at elearn I see that the side mirror adjusters are on the same circuit as the AC, so hoping I have not damaged too many components. My electrical skills are even less than my mechanical experience, so any suggestions are welcome. Anything else to try besides throwing a new Climate Control ECU in it?

I will shell out for a mobile auto electrician, and try to download circuit diagrams from eper for them to use but thought I would ask here first. Such a shame I damaged my Busso Baby - but cannot justify sending it into a shop as they sell for peanuts these days and I am already looking at a sportswagon...

Cheers

·
Registered
281 Posts
Could be a dry solder joint in the hazard switch from what I have read on the forums. This issue comes up a bit and never seems to get solved.

If it's a pre facelift climate control panel then I assume that it will be easier, and more readily available to buy.

Have you disconnected the battery, and reconnected it after a few minutes? Listen for the calibration of the climate control unit. It moves around all the flaps to make sure it is working. It's quite easy to hear from the engine bay with the bonnet up in a quiet environment.

It just seems odd that it takes out the windows too. And also that headlights work but indicator and wiper does not.

How about remove fuses for the climate control and A/C and see if that allows others parts of the car to work. I'm not really too sure on electrics.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for commenting, a great suggestion!
it is pre-facelift and getting another hazard switch is easy.. would not be surprised with this car it just wants to live.
although I have been dreading the day I have an electrical gremlin this could still be an easy fix!
so thats the climate control unit ECU under the bonnet. Yes had tried the ECU reset, was not aware what the sound was, assumed it was just the throttle body.
I will go play around with switches and fuses again, stop unplugging things...cheers mate I needed that!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No luck with the spare hazard switch I tried, all the same things still not functioning. All gauges still work.. will try a new climate control ECU and if that doesn’t fix anything call out an auto electrician. I'll have to study the elearn circuit diagrams

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixed by Bazzbazz on the ausalfa forum ausalfa.com/ as a 7.5A fuse top left row of fusebox above main fusebox.
I learned to double check all fuses and dont assume the worst, these cars are doing well for 18+ years.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Good to hear you fixed the problem. Did you check those fuses before, or did you not really know they existed before?

In any case, it's always good to disconnect battery before unplugging really any connector with these cars. Although to be fair I don't always...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I swear I double checked all fuses but I guess not. Very happy it was not as bad as feared. Yes I will be much more careful with disconnecting battery from now on!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts