Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I am new here on the forum, from Switzerland. I was looking for a 159 TI SW with the 1.8 TBi or the 2.4 JTD since a few weeks (budget around 6k CHF), but I got caught this afternoon by an auction in an ebay-like website.

A 2008 159 SW 3.2 in light grey with light brown leather seats was for sale starting at 1 CHF. I started to bid when it was at around CHF 1800.- telling myself that I would not go higher than 3000.- for it and finally won the auction for a price of CHF 2150.- (meaning 4k less than was ready to pay for a 159 TI). I know it is crazy to buy a car without having seen/driven it but I felt a little bit like gambling. I located the (private) seller on another website with fixed prices, he wanted CHF 3500 for the car.

The car has 160'000 kilometers, manual, 2008, service history is there: 6 services in total according to the booklet, at 16k, 44k, 66k, 90k, 103k and 140k. The last one in May 2020, the last 5 ones since 2013 at the same garage, I will try to call them tomorrow. This also means that the car had probably the same owner (seller) since 2013. It seems that the expensive replacement of the motor belts hasn't been done, so I guess that I will have to go for this soon. The seller was saying that the car is ready for MoT. The car is lowered and has modified exhausts (but approved for MoT). No rust. The car is located in a rather remote area, which tells me that the car will not have driven a lot in cities/traffic and that the people there are rather honest, at least I hope so lol.

I have the feeling that the car is second hand, that it was bought by parents who gave the car to they son, and that the son (who probably put the pipes and lowered the car now) has family in his turn and therefore they are selling the car. This might also explain why the last services were less frequent than at the beginning.

I will see the car on Sunday, so any advice/input welcome. Many thanks in advance.

I am aware that the 3.2 will trigger higher cost than a TI, and that my move is very ballsy...

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
9,102 Posts
Advice? Start praying...

Reactions: sizewell and Leo_NL

·
Registered
700 Posts
Start with checking fluids and if the drive home doesn’t reveal alarming things, then an oil+filter change. If the chains show sign of wear, no rattles or throwing up of check engine light, I‘d not try to repair if it ain’t broken. Yet, I’m no expert on the V6 JTS.

It’s just that before emptying further your wallet, I would first try to put some miles on it to get familar with the car and then start catching up with backlog on maintenance (if there’s any). Besides that, you might find yourself reconsidering keeping it because of fuel consumption. Although I believe the 1.750, nor the 2.4 are doing much better when driven spirited.

Would be nice to check for any stored DTC’s, but also may have been erased before collecting. That’s easy done by disconnecting the battery or by OBD reader and app.

Happy motoring, if allright you got yourself a very nice car!

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
9,102 Posts
too brutal (n) lol
Haha, we'll see, can't do any harm!

But the OPs's got it for pennies so if it is a dog, the parts will be worth a bit if he strips it down I'd imagine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha no worries I am a believer.

Thanks Leo_NL for your thoughts, I was having the same reasoning, wait and see before investing. In addition to the oil change I am maybe going to make a sanity check at a garage with a professional to ensure everything is okay, you can have it done at a general garage for something like 100 bucks, might be worth it.

·
Registered
Alfetta GTV6 supercharged racer, Alfa 159 3.2 awd Ti, Alfetta 2000 sedan
107 Posts
Change all the fluids,I.e. engine ,gearbox, transfer case,power steering,make sure it has the correct paraflu in radiator and get a OBD readout. Money spent to get it up to scratch will reward you later. Oil changes should be at least once a year or sooner,don't go by owners manual as longer duration doesn't help chains or guide tensioners.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi, congrats on your purchase!
If the full timing belt kit has not been done within the required period, and if a service hasn't been done for a year, these are things I would put it in for. It is also an opportunity to ask your friendly garage to have a look over for anything else.
But these are high cost items, and best to test out the car first, to ascertain if it is worth investing in this one. Look for knocking when going round corners, turbo slip, excessive play in gear box, do a clutch test, test handbrake, get a feel for breaking, see if it pulls to either side under breaking, look for smoky exhaust, listen for any rhythmic sounds from alternator belt, look for any wear to belt, make sure radiator temp is in the zone on a long drive.
But the 159 has good build quality if moderately looked after, so fingers crossed it'll be good. Modifications concern me, especially in a performance engine variant though. Definite 50/50, may have taken exceptional care, may have just ragged it to ****.

·
Registered
332 Posts
This engine does not have a turbo or a timing belt. It's a naturally aspirated V6 with timing chains.

As said before, frequent oil changes (max 10.000 km) help the chains to last longer. The service history shown above could be not enough.

But the price you paid should leave some room for future maintenance.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
7,848 Posts
Lol.....and what is "turbo slip"....I'd suggest you just stick to putting fuel in your car and leave anything more technical to the garage!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hi,

I went to see the car today. Negative points are that the oil pressure gauge is not working, and there is a squeaking when I'm turning with the wheels at the maximum brake radius. For the rest from what I could see it seems OK, the car is not new but I could not find anything catastrophic. Motor running rather smoothly and no particular noise from the timing chains.

The seller seems legit, as they say you buy the car and the seller, I would tend to trust him.

I have made a few pictures of beneath the car, happy for any input, in particular regarding the rust.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Bumper

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Synthetic rubber

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber Tire Tread

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Bumper Rim

Fluid Automotive tire Vehicle door Rim Water

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas Tread

Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Pipe

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

·
Registered
Alfetta GTV6 supercharged racer, Alfa 159 3.2 awd Ti, Alfetta 2000 sedan
107 Posts
Do you mean oil temp gauge as there is no oil pressure gauge on V6. Oil temp gauge is removal of sump, takes about a day.main cause is oil gunge gunking up sensors due to lack of oil changes. Usually require removal of air conditioning and wheel alignment afterwards.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes of course I meant the oil temperature gauge, sorry.

I read a few topics on this question here, I don't plan to fix it in the near future but maybe at some time if the timing chain needs replacement also for instance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Esa Tecar Supergrip Pro are a swiss budget, but quality brand of tyres. I believe they were made by Goodyear, and now by Continental.
Yeah I don't know the brand of the tyres, they are winter tires on 17 inches alloy wheels, they seem rather new and in a good condition.

If I buy the car and it is not a lemon, I will buy 19 TI wheels and put summer tyres on them.

The seller has a small garage where he is working on different cars, and discussing with him he has had other cars with big engines (VW Phaeton) so I trust that he takes care of his vehicles.

What do you think of the rust? Problematic for motor inspection?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts