Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are my requirements:

I travel alot, if not for work all our families live 700km+ away from us, we see them atleast 6 times a year...that's alot!:cheese:

The G5 GTi is now sitting at 147085km's...its old when standing next to a GQV but this car does the job, it kills off e46 M3's and I recently raced with a 750 Gixxer to 264kmh without any hiccups...I like this car but its getting old now...its got space, does 7.2l/[email protected] and its services are cheap (last one was R880) I know what I've replaced on this car so I know the history and I know it can go for another 100 000kms but I'm not going to be the one that takes it that far.

I need a car that is quick(fast) or can be made quick has 4 doors and can fit a pram and some baggage in the boot.

I need leather, sunroof(not so much of a need) and xenons and the car must look good, 17's wont do for me, I'll most probably change the wheel in the 1s year of owning the car.

I'm only 26 now so please consider my youth.

I won't pay more than R300 000 for any car as that means I'll pay more for a car than for my house and that's a no no...oh, I'm not moving house either my plan is ot pay this house off by the time I'm 35...that's the kids' Harvard education fund right there:cheese:

I also WANT, let me repeat, WANT an Alfa Romeo BUSSO...it can be a GTA or a GTV does not matter. The plan is to drive this "OTHER" car everyday(wife and I work at the same place) and on the days that I must be in JHB I'll take this "OTHER" car and wife will just take the GTA or GTV to work, I know its sacrilage but she's been trained don't worry.

The G5 GTi has been playing the role of this "OTHER" car and thus we need another car. I'm not going to waste money by purchasing a cheap car as a runaround as I don't like 99% of cheap cars.

My options that I've pursued thus far:

1) 156/147 GTA and keep the G5 GTi
2) 156 Station wagon for wife and keep the G5 GTi until a GTA or GTV comes up that's right for me.
3) Alfa GQV and a cheap car for my wife as a run around...what cheap runaround?
4) G6 GTi and a cheap car for my wife as a run around...I've tried the VW GTi recipe and its cool and effecient but very bland and boring with a stigma attacehd that becomes true the more you drive the car.
5) BMW X5(2004-2007) and a GTA/GTV to be garaged and driven on occasion that I feel like I feel now...I want to hear a busso idle through an exhaust that's open with no cats...

I don't know what else to do. I'm going to get a GTA or GTV or even both, you never know, but the OTHER car that must be reliable, low km and meet all needs above is an illusion at this stage.

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Lance, if my opinion counts, you have a VERY good car in the GTi.... its reliable, it ticks all the boxes you mentioned, why not just keep it ? You can get a 156 or GTV when the right one comes along for good money..... Don't just buy because you want something new..... I know, I am not practising my own sermon here, but money in the bank is better than a car in the driveway that you do not really want or need.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
oh FFS:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Get a bicycle.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lance, if my opinion counts, you have a VERY good car in the GTi.... its reliable, it ticks all the boxes you mentioned, why not just keep it ? You can get a 156 or GTV when the right one comes along for good money..... Don't just buy because you want something new..... I know, I am not practising my own sermon here, but money in the bank is better than a car in the driveway that you do not really want or need.
Somehow...against all my beliefs...I like this thinking:cheese::thumbs:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Keep the GTI save a couple of month's and get a GTV or GTA cash.
Do not get the x its got a personality disorder.
If you want a SUV type vehicle go Jap they are much better in the long-run.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Bewary of the expenses on the X5... Our old X5 04-07(E53) was getting very expensive after 160 000km esp with no mplan, when the radio/nav screen pixels start going that **** costs, IIRC bm wanted like 20k to change the display, air suspension needed replacing aswell, though I'll admit the motor was bullet proof, its just all the other little things.

Our E70 X5 2007 to current, is also nearing the end of MPlan, will beholding out till the new shape comes into play. Only trouble we've had with it was the Electronic parking brake failing a few times and having manually reset it.

What about like an E90 330?? Used four door 335i???:p BMW are practically giving the E90 away in prep for the F30 series soon to be launched here.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
You are young so want a badge, look past the badge and get a Jap SUV. You can get a nice Toyota or Pajero for under R300 000. Then you have a proper 7 seat for the long trips and can go play in the sand as well.
A Pajero will even reward with car like handling and performance when you wan it. Nothing like a proper full independent suspension on a proper 4x4.
As soon as your wife’s used to driving something like that you will have a hard time getting her back into a normal car.
Softroaders like the X and others like it makes absolutely no sense to me.
You pay the fuel penalty of a proper go almost anywhere vehicle but you haven’t got the usable interior space or off-road capabilities.
Its all about image.
Guili you love upgrading your cars and you will be amazed to see what you can do to a 4x4. Best part is there are a lot of places you can take the family and have loads of fun without going faster than 40km/h.
Even better the family can do all of it with you.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
get a bicycle

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
or... a bicycle

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
:cheese:
That's true Nic.
Master P i get a feeling you are fed up with Guilis quest to find the perfect set of wheels.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LMFAO...my wife quite likes the Q7 I've seen nicely spec'd models for R299k with 65k on the clock!!!

I hate being in such a predicament...i usualy know what cars I want and then end up buying exactly the opposite. The two cars i've bought in my life were both bought in a whim of 1000 feelings...

I've FOR now...I repeat, for now, decided to keep the GTi, upgrade to stage 2+ and get the Eibach's I've always wanted with the ROtiform BLQ wheels, fit the RNS510 dvd/satnav and respray the front end and drive it for another year, this year very slowely though...

And keep the lookout for a GTA and GTV

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Best choice Lance :thumbs:..... the right Alfa will come along and you will be ready with cash in hand.....;)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
:thumbs:
Let me shake the apple cart.
Lance i might be able to get you a GTV for R45000 if you are interested email me.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mail sent...please let's just get it clear. I will be the 1st to come out and say that I cannot make up my mind. This happens when you have too many options. I will not settle for second best anymore, I've done it before with my 147 and a couple days after buying it I was regretting my decision. I don't want that anymore, if I'm going to buy and Alfa it needs to be a firm decision, I had that firm decision with Ysman's GTA, but it didn't work out, I had it again with Sarel's GTV, but the banks had other ideas, so is it just me or is it a sign that I must wait...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts