Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as title broken spanner and allan key snapped , nuts rounding off.

is there a easier way to remove them as cutting them off is a pain aswell, but if i must cut them off can new bolts be got easy

thanks

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im cutting them off . as i rolled over on to a socket and cracked a rib , so in pain and cant pull a spanner very hard now :lol:

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Nooooo.

Drain the gearbox oil, and just pull them out. The long one needs 3 tiny Allen bolts on the retainer removing, and slides out easily. The short one needs a good yank to free the circling from the diff.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Oww.
The nut on the back is just to bolt the allen bolt to it wont move as it butts against the center of the hub flange . you can move it small amounts to get the bolt started though .
I thought you already had the engine out .
Do as rxe says then tackle them when they are off.
You can get new bolts probably best to order them from the local dealer. They are high tensile steel. The one thing you need more than anything with the Alfa is patience and ingenuity ;)

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
For future use, or for anyone else reading this contemplating the job in future, to undo the driveshaft flange bolts, its worth investing in a good quality inhex socket (effectively an allen key mounted in a socket) - with this mounted on a long extension you can ensure that it is seated properly in the allen bolt I usually give it a firm tap with a hammer to fully bed it in, then with a good quality ratchet wrench you can break the sealing compound on the thread. Once this is "cracked" the bolts normally unscrew pretty easily.......

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I agree I always used a socket allen key :thumbs:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts