Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! We're driving home for Christmas and got the motor control system failure warning. Car died at a junction, RAC came and read the code, crank sensor. Started and drove again for an hour or so now it's died again. We have taken refuge in a pub with 50 miles still to go while it cools down. Seems to start and drive again once it's cooled, what else can I do to get home?!

D

·
0 Posts
Thats the "classic" sign of a crank sensor going ie cutting out whilst warm and restarting when cold. It will need replaced.

But once it cools sounds like you may get it home tonight - you may want to break your journey in half just to be sure.

Or upgrade your rac membership to the necessary level to get towed home

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the crank sensor an easy DIY or is it quite inaccessible? Still in the pub - its had an hour to cool down so far. 50 miles to go.....

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
I'd chance splitting the journey - Good luck Nicky :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We made it back in the end with a couple more unschedulee stops. Including one in the middle of a road in Leominster. Not being able to stop at junctions certainly makes for an interesting journey. I now have one girlfriend who is definitely off Alfas for a while.....

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only one girlfriend unfortunately :p And might not even be that many if my car keeps misbehaving :lol:

Car is now sorted thank god. Got a sensor for £30 from Ludford Parts in Ludlow, and a massive thank you to Paul and the team at Budgens Alfa in Shrewsbury for booking me in at very short notice, fitting the part I brought along, washing the car and sending me on my way :thumbs: Thanks for pushing me off the road too - managed 40 miles from Leintwardine and conked out at the last hurdle! :lol:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Only one girlfriend unfortunately :p And might not even be that many if my car keeps misbehaving :lol:

Car is now sorted thank god. Got a sensor for £30 from Ludford Parts in Ludlow, and a massive thank you to Paul and the team at Budgens Alfa in Shrewsbury for booking me in at very short notice, fitting the part I brought along, washing the car and sending me on my way :thumbs: Thanks for pushing me off the road too - managed 40 miles from Leintwardine and conked out at the last hurdle! :lol:
You're welcome! Glad we could be of assistance.

Have a great Christmas.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're welcome! Glad we could be of assistance.

Have a great Christmas.
You too! :thumbs:

Forgot to say thanks to Dan (Pud237) for your advice - lots of fun driving without letting the car drop to idle at junctions :confused: Cheers for the 'on-call' assistance :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mscf 147

Hi,
signal came on twice in the space of a couple of weeks. no other symptoms. car started fine. should I be worried? is it something that needs to be looked at ASAP?

thnx

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Nothing major I would say as it's clearing itself, but get the codes read anyhoo, or DIY by downloading FiatECUScan & buying a cable...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts