Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, turned on the mito today to go to work and I have have loads of warning lights. Check power sterring, hill start unavailable, traction control light permanantly on and the power sterring stopped working on the last turn into work!!!!

PS the DNA will not change out of normal setting as well

Just had the drop links replaced as knocking and the alternator was replaced about 4 months ago.
Any pointers on what to check, I am going to have a look later at the fuses just to see its not anything daft.:thumbup:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sounds like the ECU has its knickers in a knot. Could be worth disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to reset it. My G did similar a couple of days ago, must be a new year feature :)
Dealer re-flashed ECU. BTW my steering worked, it was the TCT auto mode that failed after the thing finally started.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will disconnect battery when I get home as it still starts/drives although steering is very heavy (power steering not working), I also have no fuse remover to check fuses so that will have to wait till I get home
On turning key to first position I get the following messages on dash
Power steering not available check handbook
ASR not available
VDC not available
Hill start not available
steering corrector not available
also the traction control light (yellow triangle in brackets) is lit
PS our car is mito 1.4 tb 120bhp veloce

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, original battery from 2009.
disconnected battery for 15 min and eveything has reset for now! I will see what its like on drive home tonight.
Could have been a bit of water in somewher,e what with all the water on the roads lately, I have WD40'd any electrical plug connection I could see and all seems well.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Does sound like the battery instigated the problem. Most batteries only last about 6 years so the time is right. Mine is only a year old so expected a confused ECU as the problem. Made me grumpy though as I was stuck in the car park at work wanting to get home.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lol, mine's done exactly the same thing today! 59 plate 1.6 JTDM.
Took mine out on Sunday, got it nice and warm by a bit of town and open road driving. All warnings were still showing.

Turned it on this morning (Monday) - all warning lights have gone off.

I think it's cos mine hadn't been used much over Christmas/New Year and the weather has been damp and miserable, upsetting it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
It'll be the battery, I'd put money on it - most of my previous Fiat's have fired 'ghost' warning lights or switched off the power steering if the battery was getting tired. Often shows itself on a cold morning or if the car hasn't had a long run for a while. On my Fiat Stilo it said 'Alternator Failure' on the display, which was actually pretty near to the mark as it was basically saying 'I'm not getting enough voltage'.

People go into panic thinking the worst when all the warnings appear but it's actually quite a good system as it tends to fire the warnings before the battery totally dies and leaves you stranded! :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
It'll be the battery, I'd put money on it - most of my previous Fiat's have fired 'ghost' warning lights or switched off the power steering if the battery was getting tired. Often shows itself on a cold morning or if the car hasn't had a long run for a while. On my Fiat Stilo it said 'Alternator Failure' on the display, which was actually pretty near to the mark as it was basically saying 'I'm not getting enough voltage'.

People go into panic thinking the worst when all the warnings appear but it's actually quite a good system as it tends to fire the warnings before the battery totally dies and leaves you stranded! :)
It would be so nice, if the warning was something like *Low Voltage* instead of all kind of systems failures. Please Fiat/Alfa R&D: Feel free to use this idea... :thumbup:

Reactions: JTD_Liam

·
Registered
1 Posts
I get the exact same fault on mine every other week. I was at Halfords auto centre a month or two back and they told me that they would need to reprogram the ecu once they had replaced the battery, it wasn't something I could do on my own. Has anyone heard this before.

Any advice on a replacement battery?

·
Registered
636 Posts
I get the exact same fault on mine every other week. I was at Halfords auto centre a month or two back and they told me that they would need to reprogram the ecu once they had replaced the battery, it wasn't something I could do on my own. Has anyone heard this before.

Any advice on a replacement battery?
Load of nonsense. I doubt halfords could locate the ECU, let alone reprogram it!

Just make sure you replace the battery with one that's rated the same (or slightly higher). If the problems continue with a new battery, it's probably the power steering column - not too bad, I think it's a £150 rebuild (plus labour getting yours out, etc).

·
Registered
636 Posts
It would be so nice, if the warning was something like *Low Voltage* instead of all kind of systems failures. Please Fiat/Alfa R&D: Feel free to use this idea... :thumbup:
It'd be nice, especially seeing as most of these batteries seem to die around the 4-5 year mark (mine died completely out of the blue at around 4 years).

Symptoms of a dead battery also seem to mimic quite closely the steering column failure, so people with a dodgy column probably end up buying batteries they don't need "just to check"!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts