Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member, just joined this morning, my main reason for joining is to get away from the scare mongering of the general public and get some seasoned advice, I hope you can help.

I will soon be looking at getting my first Alfa, looking at spending £4000 on either a 156 1.9 JTD 16v Multijet Turismo / Veloce in the saloon or sportwagon verson, or maybe a GT 1.9 JTD 16v.

What I really need to know is am I going to find a decent one for the money I'm wanting to spend and what should I be looking for?

Hope someone out there can help, looking forward to hearing the advice......

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Welcome.. :)

If you rummage around the Technical (Model) lounges, you'll get an idea of what can go wrong... :) The 1.9 tractor engine can wear out its water pump.. but as far as I know, that's the only model-specific issue. :)

£4k sounds like plenty of moolah... so you should be okay to get a pretty pristine one, particularly the '56.

Good luck..!

And post a picture.. :thumbs:

Ralf S.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Mechanically both models are essentially the same, but as said the 156 will be cheaper, age for age, than a GT, so you can get a newer / lower mileage 156 for your money - although the facelift diesels are quite sought-after.

Aim for a car that has a good service history, particularly one that has recently had the cambelt / tensioners / water pump changed by a good independent...or maybe a dealer:lol:.

Don't be too over-concerned about mileage - they can do quite big mileages if serviced well. Front suspension can be a wear issue too, so if that's been replaced that's a plus point, too.

Inevitably if you look on this forum you'll see plenty of whinges about problems, but that's just the nature of forums - people don't post when everything's fine.

You should find a good car at that money - good luck!

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
I'd be spending that amount on a decent GT, but bear in mind the GT is less practical than the 156 if you have to carry 4 people regularly.

The GT is a brilliant practical Coupé with proper rear seats and a nice sized boot :)

The last GT I traded on for the Brera had 110k on the clock and she was running sweet as a nut, serviced by Alfatune.

Good luck :thumbs:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts