Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm new here, so if anyone can make any suggestions I'd be very grateful. I'm sure I'm doing something really daft (happens all the time), can anyone save me from my own stupidity? :confused:

I'm trying to work out how to release the hood on a manual P1 Spider (1999). I've released the short levers/bars at the top of the windscreen. I then press the buttons. Looking at the car from the rear, the left side of the roof at the back releases, but the right doesn't seem to, or I'm doing something in the wrong order. Can someone tell me where the emergency pull is - or even better what it looks like so I know what to go hunting around for in the compartment behind the driver?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received as I'm seriously letting the car down here!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Once you have released the levers( don't forget the Velcro B pillar covers) you need to press the buttons in sequence, button nearest the door first( this pops up the rear of the roof, then the other button to raise the hood cover.
If one side of the roof lifts, try getting help to pull on the side that dos'nt while you press the button.
Atb,Alex

C

·
0 Posts
Ok, starting from the beginning....release the two front levers. Then press the button nearest to you(the two together behind the seat). That will release the hood from the cover.(You may need to go the otherside to pull it out the cover). Fold the back of the hood up and then push the button furthest away from you. This will release the hood cover. Lift it up, fold the hood down (push the rear screen in to ensure it doesn't crease) and then close the cover. It may be worth lubricating all catches whilst you get the chance.

·
Registered
212 Posts
To try and answer your queries..........
There are 2 pull cords within the storage compartment that will each release their respective Rh & Lh locks. They won't release the soft top, only the soft top cover.
You might find the off side release cord is lost amongst the battery paraphanalia.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
1. Make sure engine is switched off.
2. Pull levers above windscreen so that they both point towards the rear of the car.
3. Open both drivers and passengers doors, if not enough room then drop both windows a few inches.
4. 'Pop' Both buttons behind drivers seat.
5. Pull up rear section which incorporates rear screen to allow rear clam cover to open.
6. Pull back hood about half way and make sure clear screen is folding approx centre on the horizontal.
7. Put front edge release levers back into closed position.
8. Put remainder of hood into rear well making sure that both left and right arms are pushed down.
9. Close clam cover both left and right until they click closed.
10. Drive away happy and possibly consider purchase of wind deflector

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Just to state the obvious, remember that a lot of functions on the 916 only work with the ignition off.
Manual roof on Spider, fuel flap and remote boot opening.
Again, stating the obvious but some newbies may not know.

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
9. Close clam cover both left and right until they click closed.
Not a hijack but, as a power hood owner I didn't realise that the clams- CLICK closed! Having problems getting mine to release when raising the hood on occasion. Sometimes the powerhood will not work as the clam does not release when using the power option. The manual release button doesn't always work either and the mechanism needs a tap with a mallet whilst pushing it. Now I understand why you don't need to push a button to close it as the motor closes the clam and it clicks - no power supply needed.

Sorry, as I say, the two hoods are similar in operation (apart from muscle power) and I have learnt something here - thanks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I thought you also needed the hand brake on to release the rear cover? I may be wrong, been a couple of years since I owned a Spider.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Not a hijack but, as a power hood owner I didn't realise that the clams- CLICK closed! Having problems getting mine to release when raising the hood on occasion. Sometimes the powerhood will not work as the clam does not release when using the power option. The manual release button doesn't always work either and the mechanism needs a tap with a mallet whilst pushing it. Now I understand why you don't need to push a button to close it as the motor closes the clam and it clicks - no power supply needed.

Sorry, as I say, the two hoods are similar in operation (apart from muscle power) and I have learnt something here - thanks.
The power hood catch mechanisms (clamshell cover and 5th bow lockdown) are completely different to the manual hood - they DON'T click closed. The folding geometry of the manual and electric hoods is similar, as you say.

I know it is confusing that the manual hood still has electric mechanisms, but they are solenoids that 'pop' to release catches, whereas the electric hood has motors that wind the catches up and down. And, there are no emergency release cords for the electric hood mechanisms.

Just wanted to clear that up... :)

Meanwhile, sounds like bobb (the original poster) has a faulty or jammed solenoid on one side.

-Alex

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much everyone for your time and the brilliant instructions! I am both a simpleton and a newbie, so all the pointers have been VERY useful indeed. :thumbs:

It appears, having done those things, that the catch for the roof release itself (the metal 'spike' bit) is stuck somehow. The passenger side lifts up, but the driver's side has dug his heals in and refuses to budge. The buttons themselves make a noise as if they are doing something (fingers crossed a good sign).

Is there anyway of checking what Alex kindly suggests on the solenoid front, whether it's a fuse, or whether there is a bolt that I can undo?

Thank you so much everyone! :)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
It appears, having done those things, that the catch for the roof release itself (the metal 'spike' bit) is stuck somehow. The passenger side lifts up, but the driver's side has dug his heals in and refuses to budge. The buttons themselves make a noise as if they are doing something (fingers crossed a good sign).
On my Son's car with manual roof, the left side spike does not filly release with the button, after pressing the button, he has to go around the car and pull the roof, then go back and release the cover.

Have you tried to do that? My guess is that if you can manually pull up the roof, then the solenoid has worked but not enough to fully release the the hood. Maybe an adjustment somewhere, or the catch mechanism has been bent, so it still catches

Sorry, we've not investigated any further on son's car ;)

Rich

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Thank you so much everyone for your time and the brilliant instructions! I am both a simpleton and a newbie, so all the pointers have been VERY useful indeed. :thumbs:
I reject the claim that you're a "simpleton and a newbie", as the standard of writing (grammar/spelling) is far too good for that :p

Is there anyway of checking what Alex kindly suggests on the solenoid front, whether it's a fuse, or whether there is a bolt that I can undo?

Thank you so much everyone! :)
I'm guessing a bit because I haven't had any experience of a manual hood. Wish I had one as there seems to be a lot less to go wrong. But I think you'll need to pull that emergency release cord (found inside the rear cubbyhole near the battery) while you have someone push down on the back edge of the roof (to take the load off the catch as you try to release it). Then once the hood is out of the way and the clamshell raised, you'll be able to see if the solenoid is moving under its own electric power.

I reckon what will have happened is that the spike/pin (on the hood frame) has shifted and has jammed in the catch so that the solenoid isn't releasing. That pin is basically a bolt in the frame, so you'll be able to slacken it and reposition so it lines up with the catch as you close the hood.

An alternative plan of attack - inside the car (really cramped conditions!) lift the Velcro from above the pin (you'll find this little Velcro tab under the rear window) and you'll see the nut that secures this pin ('bolt'). Then you'll be able to loosen it off (17mm spanner I think) so that it moves and un-jams the catch (hopefully) before you try to release it.

EDIT: what Rich said sounds good to me too. Reminds me of my bonnet that requires a tug to release the catch on one side. Again, after adjusting the pin, it might release more easily.

Just some ideas - keep us posted.

-Alex

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you very much for all the suggestions - I pushed and tugged - then adjusted the bolt and the combined effort seems to have worked! Thank you very much everyone, it meant I could enjoy the weekend sun with the roof down! :)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Thank you very much for all the suggestions - I pushed and tugged - then adjusted the bolt and the combined effort seems to have worked! Thank you very much everyone, it meant I could enjoy the weekend sun with the roof down! :)
Good one - thanks for the update :)

-Alex

1 - 14 of 14 Posts