Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a really nice 2013 1.4MA Sportiva with 20,000 on the clock. It is from an Alfa dealer but it was only just recently serviced - think it was about 8 months overdue. Should I steer clear? I know petrol engines are a little more forgiving than Diesel engines when it comes to service intervals but what do you guys think?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Has it got any service stamps in the book?

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
I'm pretty sure that on the 2013 spec they are 18000/2year service intervals so I wouldn't worry too much. Whether 18000 is a wise mileage between oil changes, well that's a different kettle of fish.

·
Registered
38,687 Posts
It would put me off as I think the intervals are too long as it is.

If an owner/driver/hirer? is prepared to neglect a car by not getting it serviced what other abuse has it suffered?

The Multi air system can also go wrong if the car hasn't been serviced correctly or fed the correct oil as well.

Personally I would look for another one, there isn't exactly a shortage of them.

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
If the registration starts with a W then it is likely to be either an Alfa management car or an ex-hire car. Check out who the previous owner was.....carefully.

·
Registered
36,823 Posts
It would put me off as I think the intervals are too long as it is.

If an owner/driver/hirer? is prepared to neglect a car by not getting it serviced what other abuse has it suffered?

The Multi air system can also go wrong if the car hasn't been serviced correctly or fed the correct oil as well.

Personally I would look for another one, there isn't exactly a shortage of them.
At least if it hasn't been serviced, it hasn't been incorrectly serviced!
But seriously , that's a long interval.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was a lady owner now I'm not being sexist but girls tend to not understand the service intervals of 18,000/24 months whichever comes first - my girlfriend certainly didn't anyway when hers was overdue - they seem to think the mileage is paramount when it comes to service intervals. I don't think it has been abused as I said it's really nice and a good price and I managed to get £500 off for the late service.

There are no service stamps in the book.

It will receive a full Alfa service if I buy it.

I'm just a bit worried as I'm coming from a 159 diesel - I religiously serviced that every year or sometimes twice a year and the engine is still perfect.

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
Dig more, get to see the documentation for the service, who did it when and where, who the previous owner was......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The service was done by the Alfa dealership that I'm getting it from - I only insisted on it having another one for the sake of it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All I really need to know is if there is a signicatly higher risk of some catastrophic failure a few years down the line if I buy it. I'll be servicing it every year going forward.

·
Registered
974 Posts
All I really need to know is if there is a signicatly higher risk of some catastrophic failure a few years down the line if I buy it. I'll be servicing it every year going forward.
If there's something wrong with it, you'd notice sooner rather than later.. But if it puts you off find another one.!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi madmax,

I just bought a G a few weeks ago and was looking for one for a while (was very fussy with what exactly I wanted and over here in Germany there doesn't seem to be as many!)

Even though I got a bit desperate in finding a G I wanted, I ended up passing on the ones which didn't have the punctual service history, and also the multi-owner cars, mainly due to the feedback I got about the Multiair units being "fussy", and also finding te 2 year interval a bit long.

With the G I bought, I called the two different garages where it was serviced, and got a full list of what had been done, including which oil; and got the AR dealer I bought it from to do a service and cambelt change, with it all documented.

If you're the type of person who would service it every year and do it right, I'd wait for one that has already been serviced at least to "specified" standard, and wait it out.

Hope that makes sense!

Ben

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I found a really nice 2013 1.4MA Sportiva with 20,000 on the clock. It is from an Alfa dealer but it was only just recently serviced - think it was about 8 months overdue. Should I steer clear? I know petrol engines are a little more forgiving than Diesel engines when it comes to service intervals but what do you guys think?

Thanks
I can't speak for every one but I think you will find that most people have found the diesel engines to be a lot more forgiving than the petrol engines in the earlier days. I was converted to diesel by Alfa. I do agree the oil changes seem a bit too long and do mine every year but I'm in a 2010 car. The MA engines did have some history of problems but maybe they have evolved into very reliable engines? Technology moves on and buying a 2013 car is probably a good move no matter which fuel. I have a W prefixed registration car and it's been very reliable so don't believe everything you may read.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does oil change length really matter with fully synthetic oil? I understood that it didn't break down like mineral oil over time. I think mileage is more important because the no mater what, the more miles that are done - the more contaminants are put in the oil.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If the registration starts with a W then it is likely to be either an Alfa management car or an ex-hire car. Check out who the previous owner was.....carefully.
My "WN" prefix car was nearly like new when I bought it at 3 years old, blew all the others I'd seen out of the water. The car was also well known in the Alfa East Midlands club scene. The fact it was a "W" car didn't bother me for a millisecond.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all your help guys, you've helped me come to a decision and I've decided to let this one go. I had another look around it and the car had not been looked after at all! Not only was it not serviced for nearly 3 years, but the tyres were all a hodgepodge of budget Yugoslav tyres (never heard of the brands), there were lots of stone chips that hadn't been sorted - just not loved or cared for in any way. Considering the complex nature of the MA engine - it really needs looking after properly.

Ah well, best keep looking :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
If it is a 2013 then it should have the promotional 5 year warranty, ask the dealer if the late service has invalidated this and if not buy it.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts