Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"HELP" i need 33 spring pans and top mounts, anyone got any for sale?

does anyone have any of the 33 type spring pans and top mounts? the ones with the small hole and extra housing on top of the pan where the bottom bearing sits?

col

M

·
0 Posts
Hi Sudboy. I got secondhand spring pans for my Sprint from Justsuds as finding new ones are like hens teeth but with it being a later built Sprint its got the 33 set up and the spring pans were handed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i phoned justsuds today and he explained that the deep dish type with the large hole for the bearing are the early type that my series 2 should have! am not convinced tho as thats the type iv got on now, they r no where near with the spax springs... i know i may have the wrong sides on or 2 of the same side, but even then the spring sits only a few mill from the top of the tyre...

seem as tho the spax lowerng springs are the same as 33's i wonder if i should go with 33 spring pans as theyr shallower and will lift the spring away from the tyre! then again i bet the geometry will be wrong...

has anyone had the same problems?

col

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
hey sudboy, I have the deeper sud spring pan bearings, they are close to the tyres but dont touch. When the top mounts are in, they only go in one way, the bottom of the spring should be on the inside of the wheel well, as in towards the engine bay.
Things that will change this is if the wrong springs are fitted, as in 1.5 and 1.7, they have different number of turns and topmount rubbers, as in a 1.5 fitted with a 1.7 spring. You can get away with fitting different springs if married with different top rubbers, as long as the bottom of the spring is on the inside, towards the engine bay.
Sud springs should be longer than 33 ones.

Give these guys a try, i'm sure they will have some about
http://www.bianco-alfa.com/

·
Registered
870 Posts
i never could get my head round what spring / pan / top mount fits what :confused:

then again, if alfa's were easy, would we like them as much ??

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
am the same kamm, iv had trouble with springs and pans a few times now, thats why id rather just go with the coilovers! its just that most springs that are sold as alfasud are actually 33, i know both spax and avo r like this!! there for if you dont cut the spring the pans are in the wrong position and nothing sits right, which iv found out to my cost yet again... mind you if al is right then i now know how the pans are suppose to sit correctly :) im still concerned at how close the spring pan is to the top of the tyre...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ahh nice one al, am gonna have to lop 1/4 of a turn off these 33 springs then!!! not the best solution but itll have to do for now!!

al have you ever used the shallow spring pans from the 33? they should lift the spring up away from the wheel, but then again i suppose the end of the spring sits differently in the 33 so it would knock everything out again or mmaybe it would mean i wouldnt have to cut the spring if used 33 pans as the springs are 33 anyway!!!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Dont cut the springs, get different springs or different top rubbers.

I used sud spring pans as they are deeper and lower the car further :)

I need the type with the larger hole to be used with metal roller bearing, I think i have used the shallow type

My shocks are from a ser 1 33, early type, they changed on the later types to horrible *** plastic bearings and the pan has a much smaller hole that wont fit on the early type.

Please bear in mind that i have a 33 and was told that the sud pans will fit and was advised about the top rubbers, i am not sure if the sud top assembly is the same a 33, hope i am helping

here are some pice of the top

complete with ser 3 top mount

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i bought these springs cheap al, am not paying 140 + 20 delivery for justsud springs which are the only ones i know that are propper sud fitment...

so are 33 top rubbers different to suds? using 33 top rubber would turn the 33 spring end to sit towards the inner wing? even tho am using sud spring pans?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had similar problems when I swapped from in-board-brake suspension on a S3 Sud to out-boards from an 88 Sprint 1.7. The top mounts are different. On the 33/Sprint set-up both spring ends should face inwards towards the engine. I think the Sud top ones were about 90 deg different. I may still have them in the garage but cannot check until the weekend if that is any help. I may have bottom pans as well. I put them on Ebay a couple of years ago but cannot remember if they actually sold!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
when i was setting up my 33, as in lowering it, i got some springs where the bottom of the spring didnt sit in correct place, i got horrible grinding noise when turning and going over bumps, i was advised and changed the top rubber and that fixed the problem.

I have also seen an assortment of pans, different height, different angles ect, could a later type 33 one have its hole drilled out to fit your sud pan bearing?

I have been told that sud springs are longer than 33 springs, when you fit your springs, make sure there is no loosness when put together.

I have edited my previous post for you to see what 33 top parts look like

I have these in my shed, if you want i can take some better pics??

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
33 springs are shorter than sud's, the spring pans are shallower so it makes sense they have the same unladen compression on the springs!

can you take a look rob, id be interested if youv still got them...

so what your saying al is that the top rubbers make the difference not the pans? i can stick with my sud pans, dont have to cut the springs so long as i use 33 top rubbers?

ah iv just remember i had a sud a few years back that had the rubber top mounts turned 1/4 of a turn, the reason is it was on 33 spax spring and who ever had it before me had just turned the top rubbers 1/4 turn rather than change them for 33 ones???

its all starting to come together now guys :cool:

thanks guys!!!! i love this site haha

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
sudboy, yes, kinda, you cant turn the top rubbers, you fit a different one :) that puts the bottom of the spring in the correct place

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cheers big al, i just need to source some 33 ruibbers now then! i suppose theyll be sided too?

col

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
There is an indentation in the rubber that marries up with a dent in the top metal, I suppose that you could make another dent in the rubber that corresponds to the correct orientations for your springs.
I have some rubbers I will take a look for you.
I think they are the same as the top mount only goes in one way and there is another dent/indentation in the top metal and top mount for each side.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks al, that old sud of mine just had the top rubbers turned 1/4 of a turn without any modification, it was an old racer and must have been like that for years! the car steered perfect and the rubbers had never moved... i suppose once the weight of the car is on the suspension the pressure alone will hold the rubbers in place, if i cant get 33 rubber ill just turn my suds 1/4 of a turn!!!

one more thing al, as the diffence between the sud and the 33 is the top rubbers, then surely the spring pans are of the same orientation? just that the 33 is a shallower pan?

so i recon putting 33 spring pans will be a better option as the 33 springs r shorter than a suds... many people say spax spring are to low, (thats probably coz people use sud pans for the spax kit which is actually a 33 spring,what do u think?

putting 33 pans on it will lift it up by 10mm or so! that should take the suspensin back to the 35mm drop its suppose to be??

col

1 - 20 of 54 Posts