Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to owning an Alfa and to say the least I am extremely happy with my choice of a black 147 JTD Lusso.

However the dreaded electrics issue seems to have appeared slightly earlier than what I would have hoped!! On ad hoc occasions I will start the car (probably every 12th time or so) and I am faced with ABS, ASR and EBD failure:cry:

I took it back to the garage and they put it through their computer, took all wheels off and checked the sensors, wiped the computer and gave it back. It still does it occasionally so they took it back and put a larger battery in saying it needed it to power all the systems, this worked or atleast it did for about 3 months.

Now I am out of warranty and it has come back again!!! I took it to a local garage I know who put it through his computer and it is not recording any falures.:confused:

Has anyone else had this problem or can I gleam any knowledge from anyone out there???

PS
Also on a smaller but quite annoying point my CD is the basic one that came with the car. If I am on track 7 for example when I turn the car off and come back to it after going to Tesco it starts on track 1 again?! I have never had this with a CD player before. IS this something that doesn;t annoy Italians or is it something unique to my car?

Thanks again to anyone who can save me and my wallet!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
When I changed the thermostat on my JTD I got these errors when I started the car up, it turned out that I hadn't done up one of the connections to the battery correctly (on the 156 there is a little plastic box on top of the battery that contains 3-4 connections) ... it could just be that yours is a bit loose ...

... other than that it could be that your battery is dying ... try the connections first ...

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket soundsystem or alarm in the car?
Maybe they are draining battery more heavily than standard.

Perhaps check with a multimeter if there is any drain from the battery when the engine is off.

Electrics in modern Alfas aren't too problematical in general.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Battery, sensor, could be anything...

...as for the radio, mine works fine and is the standard fitted radio...comes on at volume 20 every time, but plays the right track...

Have you checked the menus and buttons? Worth a try

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Well that's the new thing I've learned today then ... :thumbs:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dear All

Thanks so much for your words of wisdom! It has been the one thing (coupled with the CD player) that has put a dampner on my purchase. However browsing the site I can see myself getting more and more into the extras and hopefully in time being able to offer some advice of my own. Thanks again, Michael

·
Registered
55 Posts
I get the same errors when I don't start the car up straight away after the glowplug light goes off, however they go out after a few seconds.

If I do start it up straight away I don't get the warnings. I thought it was just testing the sensors??

·
Registered
297 Posts
get your garage to check the relays that between battery and brakes etc. my ecu kept losing touch with the sensors as a caroded relay was being flakey. 7 quid component! hope this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts