Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am currently car-less having sold my 3.0gtv a few months back due to rising costs and probably the fact that I was just aestetically bored with the car having had a ts one for 2 years before it. I'm getting a bit fed up of running around in my mum's 1.8 bravo and want something of my own again. Was going to take a lease on a Spider le, but couldn't get it transferred over from the original lease owner.
My mate has just bought a focus st, and it would be nice to get something that can either keep up with him, or is just 10 times cooler.
Having had the Alfas, I quite like the idea of something rare or just a bit "out there". Budget is no more than £300 a month in total, recession looming etc it would be nice to find something with minimal depreciation, and not too expensive in running costs (new tax laws, rising fuel prices). Obv a pre 2001 car would give cheaper tax, so could spend more money elsewhere on it. I do love my cars but really don't want to ruin myself, and this may be the last nice car I have before I have to start looking (according to her!) at buying a flat. Also, im 21 but have 4 years exp and ncb so my insurance is better than most people my age.
Things I've thought of so far:

Boxster 2.7 (pre 01)
+ Its a porsche, not too bad on fuel, rock solid residuals, perceived reliability, practical for a 2 seater, usable every day, tax
- Bit too flash/showy, not sure on maintanance costs (any ideas)

S2000 (pre 01)
+ Fast, reasonably rare/different, roughly same as 2.0 ts on fuel, reliability
- Group 20 insurance, a bit "Japanese" and plasticy

Rx8
+ 4 seats, great stereo, individual concept, well equipped, insurance, handling, cheap (£6-7k now!)
- Highest tax band, fuel economy

Elise s1
+ Fast, good looking, residuals, driving experience, tax, fuel economy
- Inpractical, might be a bit annoying when I want to (as James May says) just waft

BMW 635 csi
+ Rare, handsome, comfortable, should be reliable, rwd fun, residuals
- Old, fuel economy, maintainance?

147 Gta
+ Its an alfa, good looking, fast, comfortable when wafting, rare
- Residuals, fuel economy, tax, maintainance

or Porsche 944, z4 3.0, clio 197(great fun!), some other old porsche/bmw, 205gti, intergrale, 325i sport

or lease
Civic Type R, Focus st, Astra VXR.

or anything else anyone can suggest!

Going on holiday on Wednesday, going to think about it while floating on a lilo with a beer, but as soon as I get back I want to move some money around and go out and buy a car.

Any help with any experiences on any of the above would be appreciated, as there are some of these that I have never even sat in, and some that I'm not sure on running cost on.

Thanks,
Iain (sorry about the essay!)

D

·
0 Posts
Out of those I'd go for the S2000. It's not as 'showy' as the Porsche and if you pick up a 2000 model you'll miss the crap tax, :D

Plus it's quicker than the Porsche 2.7, that's gotta count for something, :lol:

N

·
0 Posts
^-----Don't listen to him, he'll change his mind in 5 minutes
and tell you to go for something else. :eek:

:lol:

All I can say is not the Girl's Porsche or the RX-8.. ;)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
IF you're really stuck, and that money is burning a hole in your pocket, then you could buy me a new car.

I'm sure i'm not the only one here to think you are being just a tad selfish when you keep buying things for yourself.

Think of your fellow AO'ers.

But if you want to buy yourself something then make it anything except the RX8 (too high maintenance), BMW (it's a BMW), or Elise (it's an Elise), or Porsche (it's just a Beetle really), or a Honda (the S2000 is for women only), or Ford, or Astra.

Hope that helps. :)

D

·
0 Posts
The S2000 isn't for women only and I'll tell you for why. It's only powerplant is a 2 Litre Vetec kicking out 240BHP.

Women orientated cars do not have 240BHP.

The Porsche has a girly version as does the RX8, :D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Ah, well the only S2000's i have seen had women behind the wheel. Good looking, curvaceous, young, single, fit women.

God, i love that car.

·
Registered
953 Posts
don't know what your budget is, but I've seen some relativley cheap Porsche 996 911's around. Usually the older ones that look a little dull now, but still is a great car. Not so sure about running costs though.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Hello ???? You appear to have missed the 156 GTA ... you can pick up one at rock bottom prices these days and they'll beat pretty much everything on your list (plus your mates ST) ... and they are the best looking car ever made*

* apart from all of the other cars that are nicer, but way out of budget :thumbs:

H

·
0 Posts
I lovve the S2000, but the first thing I'd buy after I got the car home would be the hard top.

Convertibles are for girly girls and camp men only

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Joined the 'empty garage club' too mate:(: Nice to be able to sit back and view the massive bargains out there, what with the credit crunch and all that. Buyers market of absolute choice, so good luck.:):

·
Premium Member
42,863 Posts
Owned an rx8 (231bhp) for two and half years...it's a great buzz when you're in the 7500 to 9500 rev range but at 16-18mpg and full wack on the car tax band...it aint cheep....:lol:

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts
^-----Don't listen to him, he'll change his mind in 5 minutes
and tell you to go for something else. :eek:

:lol:
:lol: :cheese: :lol: :cheese: :lol:

·
Registered
16,125 Posts
Said it before for that money I would take the elise each time.

I ran one for two years and although its not th emost practical car out there its certainly fun to drive.

£300 a month should get a decent S2 Elise - 111S has 160BHP in a go kart.

S2 are more practical than the S1 cars - the sill is smaller so getting in and out is easier (Not pretty but easier) - the roof is also easier to remove - the S1 cars had screws etc, S2 is just clips.

Boot wise its fine for a couple of soft bags for a weekend away etc.

The ride is actually pretty good around town - not as harsh as you would imagine and S1 cars have porr suspension which needs replacing every 10K miles or so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts