Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, looking for some advice please. I crashed my much loved Alfa mito and waiting for garage to pick up and asses the damage for the insurance. I’m so worried they write it off...any suggestions on what you think the cost/ outcome will be greatly appreciated. It’s a 2009 model with only 66k on the clock.

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
If they do write it off you can arrange with them to buy it back from them and then get the work repaired yourself at a fraction of the cost insurance companies pay. Second hand panels, light, bumper. If your lucky you may even find the right colour.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve had a friend who’s a retired panel beater have a look and he recons there’s no damage under the bumper but with authentic parts from Alfa and charge for labour it’ll end up getting written off ? took my insurance two days to collect and with the bank holiday I’m going to be left in limbo until at least Wednesday! I’m insured with Hastings Direct, I’ve read that they don’t allow you to buy back the car? Has anyone had experience with them?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
If its written off and they pay out it becomes the property of the insurance company. Its up to them how they choose to deal with it after that.

·
Vendor
46,139 Posts
If its written off and they pay out it becomes the property of the insurance company. Its up to them how they choose to deal with it after that.
You can ask for a payment in lieu of repair, that avoids it getting stung with the write-off too.

·
Registered
9,311 Posts
My son's Clio was rear ended a few years ago. The tail gate, rear bumper and spare tyre(!) were all damaged but apart from behind the bumper, the rest of the bodywork was OK. Insurance said it was uneconomical to fix, but spoke to the same repair company they planned to use and they said it could ..

So we bought it back. They fitted a 2nd hand bumper & tailgate (they found the same colour and didn't need to spray either!) and I supplied a spare tyre (as I could get one much cheaper than them!). They pulled the boot floor and wheel well back into shape (you wouldn't know to look) and a few odd and sods like a new number plate light unit. Job done and we actually had money left over .. gives you some idea of the mark-up insurance companies put on the repairs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for looking of your replies. It’s been almost two weeks now and still no idea what’s happening ?

·
Registered
9,311 Posts
You are paying them for a service, so they should provide it!

Although many insurance companies seem to think they are doing you a favour for taking hundreds of pounds a year off you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it’s heen classed as a write off...was told this after chasing them dinner time on Friday. By 3pm they wanted the courtesy car back despite me paying extra for courtesy car cover. The time scales for them to decide what category write off is ridiculous- I may get a offer in around another 2 weeks! Will NEVER use Hastings again!

I’ve never been in this position before...how do they decide what they are going to offer for my car? What should I try negotiate to..it’s a 2009 red Alfa mito with 66000 on the clock in good condition. I paid £4000 for it 12 months ago and it’s had new starter motor, alternator, battery, front suspension springs, brake pads and tyre while I’ve owned it. It was due it mot so I’d just put new wiper blades on and had just that day put a full tank of petrol in!

·
Registered
344 Posts
They will usually make a **** offer initially - I think the usual advice for negotiating is to find adverts for several cars of comparable specification and condition to go back to them with to say "this is how much it will cost for a replacement". Alas I don't think the money you've spent on fixing bits in the past year will count for anything.

You say you paid for extra courtesy car cover and you're with Hastings? Was it this you paid extra for:
https://www.hastingsdirect.com/car-insurance/policy-extras/substitute-vehicle.shtml

If that is the case then my reading is that you should be eligible for a substitute car since your car has been written off - but it sounds like that may be different to the initial courtesy car (as it sounds like the initial courtesy car is provided by the approved repairers your vehicle goes to), so check what it is you paid extra for and if it's substitute vehicle cover hassle them about it! The terms and conditions for substitute vehicle is covered in the options thing on this (assuming it's hastings direct): https://www.hastingsdirect.com/car-insurance/policy-booklets.shtml

Always worth checking policy terms on that sort of thing - some policies specifically state they'll cover until you get the settlement cheque for write offs.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
They will be dealing with many damaged cars, for mine they had to put it on a jig to see if it had chassis damage.
New parts etc are not relevant, its assumed to be in good condition - look for car of similar age etc on Autotrader. In my (limited) experience they suggested that my loan car should go back once they had paid out (actually they were surprised when I rang up and said I found a new car and could they come and collect the loan car) although in my case the accident wasn't my fault which might make things different for you!

·
Registered
398 Posts
In my experience which was with sheilas wheels, when they came back with the offer over the phone I initially scoffed and said I couldn't replace my car for the amount offered he instantly told me of three in my local areas for sale and the offer was right inbetween the highest and lowest prices, infact I ended buying one of them. They also wanted the courtesy car back asap, I bought the new car on the weekend with my credit card then just paid it off when the cheque arrived. Of course you can get a payment in lieu which would allow you to keep your car and repair it yourself and probably have a few quid left over.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts