Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I’ve not been on here for a while, my GTV has been behaving itself :) .

Anyway, of late, it has been randomly immobilising itself :mad: - Turn the ignition and the engine spins but does not fire up. The first two times this happened I called out the rescue people but by the time they arrived the problem had magically cured itself, they just put the key in the ignition and the car started! They mechanics told me that this is a common problem with the type of alarm fitted and to clean the key and the inside of the blipper with some meths. I have done this but the problem still persists. It happens about once every six weeks, so not too frequent, but invariably it is when I’m in a hurry!

So, has anyone on here had a similar experience with an older GTV (98 MY) and is there a ‘simple’ fix for this intermittent problem?

TIA

·
Registered
317 Posts
When it happens, have you noticed if the keycode light is on? If it is it means the ECU has not recognised the key which is likely to be either the key needs reprogramming or the aerial around the ignition switch has moved or is obstructed. When it happens, try using another key, if it still happens then its likely to be the aerial.

R

·
0 Posts
Sometimes putting the key in the other way round can make the problem vanish (ie the aerial round the ignition barrel is only picking up a good signal when the key is put in a certain way round)

This could explain the intermittent problems.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Im suffering similar problems at the moment and I **** you not if you open and close the bonnet on mine it starts again straight away - possibly to do with a bonnet open sensor?

I got sick of it so ive turned the immobiliser off completely using the little key in the control box by the headlights.....

.... maybe you could try that?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your responses.

@ nosbork - The key code light goes out and I am carrying around both sets of keys at the moment, but it could still be the aerial.

@ robf781 - I haven’t tried turning the key around, I will definitely try that next time, thx.

@euroboy - I have had the bonnet open sensor light on a few times. so I'll try your solution also. Unfortunately, I cannot turn the immobiliser off with a key, this option was removed from UK spec cars at some point.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help. I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If the keycode light is going out then the key is being recognised meaning the key and aerial must be okay, your problem is therefore elsewhere. The next time it happens check the coils are sparking.

R

·
0 Posts
euroboy said:
I got sick of it so ive turned the immobiliser off completely using the little key in the control box by the headlights.....
Unless as mentioned by Derek the spec for uk cars is different to european ones, the key hole under the bonnet is for the alarm and not the immobiliser.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it's just doen it again :(

The key light goes out! I tried some of the suggestions; turned the key over - no luck, opened the bonnet - no luck. I did notice that the injector light blinks once then stays on. I seem to recall that someone mentioned that there is a relay or something for this somewhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

As before, leave the car for a while (in this case overnight) and the problem goes away!

Any suggestions as to a fix?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Well it's just doen it again :(

The key light goes out! I tried some of the suggestions; turned the key over - no luck, opened the bonnet - no luck. I did notice that the injector light blinks once then stays on. I seem to recall that someone mentioned that there is a relay or something for this somewhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

As before, leave the car for a while (in this case overnight) and the problem goes away!

Any suggestions as to a fix?
Derek - Im still having some similar problems with mine. It has been suggested to me that it could be the rpm sensor. When the car is hot it can stick in position causing an open circuit and a false signal to the ECU, hence the car not starting. Once it has cooled it returns to normal and so the car will start.

At the moment im finding that opening and closing the bonnet solves the problem, probably because the act of closing the bonnet jolts the sensor back in to place (or something like that!!)

If the injector light remains lit then the ECU should be storing the fault code. Bite the bullet and pay for a diagnostic test, I know I will be next time im in the UK.

If it is the RPM sensor the parts are cheap but they can be a bugger to get to, so maybe an hours labour. Keep me up to date on how you progress as it sounds as though we are having the same problem; I also have a thread running so maybe you will find some answers in there.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I seem to recall that someone mentioned that there is a relay or something for this somewhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction.
The injection system relay is under the plastic cover above the righthand front wheel and is the one nearest the engine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This happened to me. I probably tried to start the car like 20 times! But no joy, just kept misfiring and they key picture wudnt cum up also, so obv not reading the key.

Dumped the car and went to get spare key and guess what...STILL wudnt tick over.

Rang my mate and he said a 'quick cure, which ur NOT meant to kno about' is to disconnect battery for 2 mins approx. This resets the transponder and bobs ur sisters bruver!

AND to my amazement BOTH keys started her up first time everytime from then on!

Was a downside tho, had to get my stereo decoded, as i didnt have the orginal stereo code.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
An Update....Just got back from the Alfa dealer who have diagnosed that the RPM sensor needs replacing (as suggested by Euroboy) and this will be done shortly. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
An Update....Just got back from the Alfa dealer who have diagnosed that the RPM sensor needs replacing (as suggested by Euroboy) and this will be done shortly. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Excellent news Derek - I would appreciate it if you could keep the thread updated re: the success of the fix and how much it cost you as it looks like I will need the same work doing in a couple of weeks - although having said that the car has been as good as gold since last Wednesday (furiously touches wood!!:cheese: )

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will keep you up-to-date.

The fault has been very intermittent, maybe only half a dozen times in the past six months, but it always does it when it is most inconvenient!

The test was an hour labour (£47) and they did it while I waited. The part is about £100 and will take about an hour to fit so about £150. I will let you have 'proper' costs once it has been fixed. It's booked in for 5th March so don't hold your breath!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts