Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks.

I need some point of views regarding my recently bought Giulietta. I Noticed a ticking / tapping noise coming from the engine. I'd say that the noise comes from the top, near the egr. The noise sounds like a sharp pencil tapping on table and it is related to the revs. It doesent become louder, but more frequent while revving, and it sets while idling and sometimes it disappears until you press again the throttle.

I asked the oppinion of some mechanics at two different places here in Finland and they said that it's normal, it's a diesel, charasteristic of jtdm's. However, I've never heard an engine that is completely in tact doing a specific noise over the engine sound. So I took it back to the place I bought it, and they said " it's the lifters, all alfas are tapping". Well I got the car back from the dealer after they changed the lifters and injector seals. Now it is more quiet, but still ticking while revving. I didn't mensioned earlier that before new lifters the ticking was also while idling.

Also injector values were checked and they are working fine..for now.

Is it normal? Anyone with same problem, solution? It's a very nice car otherwise, but that damn ticking is so annoying.

thanks,

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
check for evidence of leaking around the injectors, the glow plugs and the exhaust manifold.

do you use the same brand of diesel all the time? change brands for a tank or 2 and see if that changes the noise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've used couple of different diesel brands, a diesel from a local chain abc and diesel from a Finnish manufacturer Neste Oil, no difference. Btw, the car has 115 k kilometers on the clock. The car was also serviced recently and they put some diesel purge from LM into the fuelfilter... no change.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought that new oil would help, so i got serviced the car before taking it back to the dealer, now, it's running wit Liqui moly 5w-30 oil with the correct fiat spec. I have a bad feeling about the lifters, because when i lifted the engine cover off i can't see any marks on job done...for ex, the engine is dirty, bolts are dirty and there is dust. I don't know, sounds a little weird if they are bull****ting a customer so badly...?

So basicly you agree that a taping ticking noise is not typical for this engine?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I remember when I had a 147 JTDm, there was a distinctive ticking coming from the engine bay too, only audible from outside the car. I think the ticking is an diesel characteristic which becomes more pronounced with mileage. As long as the engine is mechanically sound, runs smooth, and delivers power smoothly, I would not worry too much about the tappet ticking issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Change the oil from 5w30 to 5w40c3 fully synthetic this is a lot better and I thought most Alfa and Fiat engines are meant to have 5w40 c3

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
The Giulietta is specced with a C2

C3 will be fine but there is a very slight penalty in terms of fuel economy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts