Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just replaced the gear selector plate on my 1.6ts 147 and now it not going into 1st, 3rd or 5th has anybody got any advice for me?

I put it all back together in the dark and rain! A bit of a rush job, I'm worried about it just now as I'll need to wait till tomorrow to go at it again.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
276 Posts
One of the clips has probably popped out. Sometimes it feels like it's clipped in but pops off.

Found this out when my car wouldn't go into reverse...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping it would be something like that, did you manage to pop yours back on with out having to take the battery tray out?

Cheers
Scott

·
Registered
276 Posts
I was hoping it would be something like that, did you manage to pop yours back on with out having to take the battery tray out?

Cheers
Scott
Yes. It should just be the two clips with the round heads (one of which is blue). You can just reach down & push them back on.

L

·
0 Posts
is the end on the cable?

can you select 2 4 & R?

my gues it that you didn't fit the 'finger' for selecting lo-mid-high range into the selector shaft [ under the round rubber ] correctly. its got the LONG bolt going thro it, which acts as a hinge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is the end on the cable?

can you select 2 4 & R?

my gues it that you didn't fit the 'finger' for selecting lo-mid-high range into the selector shaft [ under the round rubber ] correctly. its got the LONG bolt going thro it, which acts as a hinge.
Yep I've got 2nd 4th and reverse, I know the finger bit you're talking about is seems to be in place, if I connected the cables up and the stick was sitting "in gear" could that effect it?

L

·
0 Posts
no, the gear stick position is controlled by the cables. perhaps they just need adjustment. if it were my car i'd disconnect the cables & make sure that all gears can be selected by moving the selectors on the box. once you are happy the gears can be selected then look at the odd/even selector cable postion

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I disconnected the clips and moved the linkage on its own everything seems ok there, then I tried moving the gear stick with the cables still unclipped and it wont go up (towards 1st, 3rd, 5th, just stops and won't go any further than where neutral is)
So is it a problem with the gear stick?
Am I right to think that you need to take the exhaust off the get to it.

L

·
0 Posts
Your problem is either an cable adjustment / clip not in place correctly type issue [ due to the plate been changed & is now in a different postion to the old one ] OR something is stoping the gear lever going forward enough

to gain access to the gear stick end you need to remove the exhaust & central tunnel

L

·
0 Posts
Your problem is either an cable adjustment / clip not in place correctly type issue [ due to the plate been changed & is now in a different postion to the old one ] OR something is stoping the gear lever going forward enough

to gain access to the gear stick end you need to remove the exhaust & central tunnel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had this all apart again today, I'm pretty positive that the problem is a damaged gear cable seems like the cable doesn't want to slide through into the housing.
I had the ball joint end clips and the c-clips that hold the cables onto the selector plate off and even though the gear lever was free it still wont move up past halfway.

It could be the lever but I haven't touched that end, it was working ok the last time I drove, it did have really stiff gear changes though (nearly two handed! Selector plate was seized)

As I have no ramps it's going to have to go to the garage to get them to look at it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes the gears can be selected, I'm pretty sure it was me that damaged the cable when I was trying to get the "c" clips off. One end of the cable feels a bit more limp than the other.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts