Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.2JTS 159SW 2006
Gear lever suddenly loose, lots of play, very little spring to it if that makes sense, shifts OK 2-6 but takes a few goes to get into first. It's never been a particularly pleasant gearbox to use but this is new - going to get it to a garage as soon as I can, but does anyone know what has happened? Something to do with the linkages?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sounds like something has come loose at the gearbox end of the gear cables. Still partially attached though if you can select gears at all. I would be very very gentle with the gear changes. You will be able to see the cables at the gearbox from under the bonnet.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
5,055 Posts
Any noises?....the M32 gearbox quite commonly suffers bearing failure which also gives play at the stick.....lots of threads on here showing the symptoms.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any noises?....the M32 gearbox quite commonly suffers bearing failure which also gives play at the stick.....lots of threads on here showing the symptoms.
Not really any noise, when selecting a gear or otherwise, which makes me think not the gearbox, and that it came about relatively suddenly.

I took it to my local alfa garage and they confirmed that nothing was loose where it connects to the gearbox. They said the selector bushing at the end of the cable was possibly worn, quite a lot of play, and swapped it for a used spare, but frustratingly the issue remains, so either the replacement part had the same problem or it's not that bit that's the problem...they can't seem to source a new cable/bushing set either (they come as a unit, 55203252). Right, er...

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Check the pivot pin for the up and down movement of the selector on top of the gearbox,mine was corroded and causing it to select badly. It was a struggle to select gears and lever didn’t self centre.

I also had a worn cable end which I swapped out for a Peugeot/Citroen part, basically I bough a set of PSA gearbox rods and removed one of the ends to screw on my cable. Set cables up,removed pivot pin to clean corrosion off and lubricate. Gear selection was transformed

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check the pivot pin for the up and down movement of the selector on top of the gearbox,mine was corroded and causing it to select badly. It was a struggle to select gears and lever didn’t self centre.

I also had a worn cable end which I swapped out for a Peugeot/Citroen part, basically I bough a set of PSA gearbox rods and removed one of the ends to screw on my cable. Set cables up,removed pivot pin to clean corrosion off and lubricate. Gear selection was transformed
Wow - that sounds like it might just be spot on! Thanks a million, that's really really helpful, I'll ask the garage to check the pivot pin first thing. I guess you didn't get a chance to test separately, but do you know which of the two (pivot pin vs worn cable end) was causing what symptom?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
The pivot pin on mine was giving most of the problems with selecting the worn bush on cable end was adding to it.

the pivot pin is the one you can see in this picture it has the retaining clip on back end and the small arm where cable attaches. It gives up and down movement of selector which is the side to side movement at the stick.
Pull clip off and slide pin out to clean and lube

·
Administrator
Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm Sportwagon
5,653 Posts
No picture?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pivot pin on mine was giving most of the problems with selecting the worn bush on cable end was adding to it.

the pivot pin is the one you can see in this picture it has the retaining clip on back end and the small arm where cable attaches. It gives up and down movement of selector which is the side to side movement at the stick.
Pull clip off and slide pin out to clean and lube
Great, thanks for confiriming - can't see a picture though!

Am I correct in thinking the ECU, battery and battery tray need to come out to get access?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No I managed to access mine without removing battery and tray.
Just a quick update, they couldn't find any problems with the pivot pin, no corrosion etc., but they did confirm the issue remains even when you try and change gear directly at the selector so it's either the selector or the gearbox itself - they're replacing the selector 🤞 hopefully that's it otherwise it's a gearbox re-build 😬

1 - 12 of 12 Posts