Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! as the title suggests i'm struggling to source some new rear subframe bushes for my 159. taking the subframe off for a referb before the rust becomes more than surface rust and as the old ones look cracked and dry I'd like to replace them the same time.

I have seen that powerflex do universal tophat bushes whats your opinions on using them if a replacement cant be found?

cheers

·
Registered
314 Posts
There are many different bushing all of varying types,sizes and functions.
Which bushes in particular are you looking for?
There’s no need to fit universal as all the bushes are available personally I would advise against fitting Poly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rear axle.jpg

The ones i'm after are these, they mount the subframe to the body itself.

why would you advise against the poly bushes may I ask?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would advise against the subframe bushes being replaced with Poly due to the harshness/vibration they will introduce-those bushes are called isolating bushes and I think they may be hydraulic/oil filled-designed for a specific task that Poly simply can’t fulfil.
Poly bushes also require maintenance and re-lubricating which in a lot of cases isn’t practically achieved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense if they are oil filled that would also explain why the buggers are so hard to find

·
Registered
314 Posts
The part number for them is TED98439 made by TEDGUM if you do a search you will find them -probably around £20 each.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just tried searching that part number and everywhere I looked on seems to be out of stock :(

·
Registered
314 Posts
There is a phone number-sure TEDGUM can tell you a local stockist to you if they can’t sell them to you direct.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is this deffo the right part? The picture looks like the rear swing arm bush. Only people I’ve seen sell subframe bushes was Silent Blocks and they’re showing no stock!

I’m looking to change these on a Brera and a 159 Q4, seems bushes are same on all rear subframes Q4 or not.

Paul777 how come so many people are against Poly bushes on this forum? On other performance car forums the debate is normally between Rose joints or Poly bushes or solid engine mounts etc not being aggi just seems like a trend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Simply for the reason I previously mentioned but it’s your car and money.
But especially with these bushes as they isolate the rear subframe assembly from the body.
I suppose rose jointed or poly bushes have their place on a track-but the suspensions are being maintained/rebuilt rigorously on track cars.
Yeah if you cross reference the Alfa part number available on the shop4parts website you will see a parts diagram.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I would strongly advise against poly for subframe I recently did my bmw rear subframe and diff with poly. They were removed after less than a month due to NVH handling was improved but I just couldn’t stand the noise it was like a straight cut gearbox howling away. Motorway speeds was migraine inducing.

stick with the standard bushes if you want a nice quiet ride

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got the subframe off today and surprising the bushes are not half as bad as I thought so can use them for now whilst I find somewhere that actually has them in stock for future.

Got all of the rear suspension soaking in some rust remover dip so we shall see the results tomorrow.

Tomorrows job is the interior can go back in now I have the new handbrake cables installed on the handbrake end, whoever came up with the idea of having to remove that much to replace them is right so and so! on the plus side I did find about 8 quid in old pound coins -.- some spare trim clips, a radio removal tool and 13mm socket and extension bar from previous owners so that a plus!

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I would strongly advise against poly for subframe I recently did my bmw rear subframe and diff with poly. They were removed after less than a month due to NVH handling was improved but I just couldn’t stand the noise it was like a straight cut gearbox howling away. Motorway speeds was migraine inducing.

stick with the standard bushes if you want a nice quiet ride
That will be because it had a propshaft, two driveshafts and a diff spinning and whirring away on it so the noise from all that was transferred straight to the floor. Be surprised if you noticed much difference in a front drive Alfa 159.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I would advise against the subframe bushes being replaced with Poly due to the harshness/vibration they will introduce-those bushes are called isolating bushes and I think they may be hydraulic/oil filled-designed for a specific task that Poly simply can’t fulfil.
Poly bushes also require maintenance and re-lubricating which in a lot of cases isn’t practically achieved.
No maintenance would be needed on poly in this application.....there is no movement to cause squeaking.....like there would be in a suspension arm bush.

·
Registered
314 Posts
There are absolutely no advantages that I can foresee in changing the isolating bushes to poly-none whatsoever only downsides.
But like I say his money -his car -his experience.
I just meant that putting poly bushes anywhere they can’t be easily maintained -means In all probability they won’t be maintained.
I had them fitted to replace the leading front oil filled bush on the the rear trailing arms and they were a pain in the arse once the temps get up and the lube starts to dry-those bushes are located where they are not easily maintained without a full strip down of the rear trailing arm.
I could see a case for them in the front lower arms or rear anti -roll bar but even then it’s quite involved process removing lower wishbone to re-lubricate -likewise the uppers and they will need maintaining.
I just don’t see a place for them in road cars in all practicality taking everything into consideration.
Some poly manufacturers may produce a bush that’s the same shape - but it has none of the characteristics- even with differing shore hardnesses.
I genuinely believe replacing these bushes in particular with Poly would be a mistake especially in the case of CarbonLivelli - who has a Q4.
All the original bushes are available and cheaper than the poly.
But like I say his car - his money.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
You are missing my point...they don't pivot...so they wont squeak..ever....therefore they wont ever need stripping for maintenance. Different story if he was doing arm pivot bushes or front suspension or any other part that moves or pivots. I agree that I would be concerned about extra driveline road noise transmitting to the cabin in a Q4...but I think it would make minimal difference in a front drive model.
I've never had issues with excess noise or squeaking on cars I've polyed on the past...moving parts or not...just a sharper handing car. If the bushes fail on my 159 poly will go in....except the from uppers...they DO tend to squeak due to their design.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts