Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this may take a while to explain!
I have posted a few posts in the past about my dodgy trip computer / Speedo issues. A very basic explanatation is my car 156 1.6 veloce 54 plate, should have had a recall completed due to a faulty speedo head disclosing incorrect info to the trip computer. The speedo records mileage correctly however informs the trip computer of incorrect mileage. Anyway, i purchased a spare speedo from Ebay for a tenner, my car had 20000 miles on, the purchased speedo only had 4500 miles. When i connected it up and went for a drive, i got no error messages and it recorded my mileage correctly to the trip and recorded it correctly onto the speedo. However, i am a law abiding citizen and would not ride around in a car with the incorrect mileage on the clock. I arranged to meet some guy from the back of autotrader in york and for a fee of £70 he could amend my newly purchased speedo to the correct mileage so i did it and it works. However, every time i start the car up i get the message" failure no connection goto dealer" on the trip computer. The abs light and another one amber with a triangle is lit up and so is the handbrake light and they wont go off. If i connect my original speedo, the lights are not on and the error message doesnt come up, however it reports the incorrect info to the trip computer! Cant bloody win. I am thinking, has this guy i met damaged my speedo header unit, as when i orignally tried it, i got no error messages. He said to me, if i had swapped units originally and left my ignition key in, the abs light would error and it would have to be reset? Is that correct or do you think he has damaged it beyond repair? Previously before i swapped units over, my cars trip computer couldnt be reset after servicing and my local alfa dealer tried to connect his computer software to reset it but he couldnt. I can now reset the service interval with the new speedo header installed. My local alfa dealer wants to hook it up to his machine and saee what it says but will charge me £50 for the privalidge. Is it worth it? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Administrator
46,123 Posts
DO a search for 'failure no connection' - it may be as simple as a broken fuse in the fusebox which is over the battery.
Unusual type of fuse - better going to a proper old fashioned motor-factor to get one. Halfords don't stock them.

EDIT: From the changing speedo story, that's probably not what it is...

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DO a search for 'failure no connection' - it may be as simple as a broken fuse in the fusebox which is over the battery.
Unusual type of fuse - better going to a proper old fashioned motor-factor to get one. Halfords don't stock them.

EDIT: From the changing speedo story, that's probably not what it is...

Thanks for info, I have seen that post and am going to try the fuse tomorrow but not sure what the outcome will be, not to hopeful though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts