Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
can someone please help me. Had my alfa 156 sportwagon (2001 year) now 2 years and today the engine light came on on the duel track. Had to carry on for 2 miles but could not get above 3000 revs. Came to the traffic lights and had to stop. As soon as it stopped the engine cut out and would not start up again. The AA came out and look at it for 20 mins. Then removed the cam cover and said the belt was not moving. He then said the belt had gone. When i looked at the belt there is tension in the belt and i cannot see where it has so called snapped. How can i double check to see if the belt has gone or what else could it be??????

Someone please help me.......

·
Registered
30,392 Posts
The belt doesn't have to snap to have failed.
Often the teath just come off of the belt.

If it has never been changed it is well overdue...

Change point is now 3-years/36000miles, that came in in late 2006, but you are even over the original 6-years/72000mile change...

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you take the end cover off you should be able to feel the inside of the belt, you might need to take the bottom cover off too but I'm guessing you'll find the teeth down there somewhere if that's what's happened.

I just had a belt slip last month - not great for the old pocket I'm afraid.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you try and start the car the engine will sound like a hair dryer, and spin up really fast.

If the belt is not turning then it sound bad, looking at the possibility that the belt has been stripped of its teeth, would cause the timing to go out by a tooth until the bele failed completely. Looking at a rebuild I think.:mad:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts