Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi can anyone tell if i have a major problem with engine, temp gauge reading all over the place, normal setting 90 on gauge but today it went upto 130 then dropped to 80 back to 100,when i got home checked coolant level expansion tank, looked empty until i squeezed hose to radiator, coolant returned into tank but had to top up. temp gauge now at 80,is problem: water pump,thermostat,or radiator??. or something else. this happen 2 times before but it returned to normal within mins, i own a 147,lusso 1.6 petrol 05 plate please help thanks.

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
If you are loosing coolant, the usual suspect is the rad or a hose.

Have you had a chance to look for leaks?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Check for leaks first and foremost. However I had a problem with a 156 V6 temp gauge reading high, changed the radiator, water pump, thermostat and water pump sensor and no change. Ended up removing the gauge from the dash and found it had been soldered at the back. Replacement gauge cured the problem. Did I pay stupid tax...maybe!

If readings are variable I'd suggest water temp sensor check first and carry coolant in the boot until you've sorted it. Make sure you can pull over and stop the engine before the red light on the temp gauge comes on otherwise you might cook the headgasket.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks david, no had time to check for leaks its raining hard where i stay,but i will need to get it looked at before weather changes i was told it had a leak when i bought it but it had been fixed,i will take it my local garage to be checked. thanks mate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi chris thanks for the reply,no had time to check for leaks its raining hard where i stay, i was reading some tec stuff on forum about temp/ heating everybody seems to say thermostat/water pump, when i said i had to topup it wasnt much water, it seemed there was not a lot of fluid in hose from radiator to tank, do you think it maybe the thermostat as thats what im reading in forum, also do you know if they pricey

D

·
0 Posts
When the thermostats fail they tend to do so "open" and the car runs cool.
How long have you had car ? I wonder if theres an air lock in the system

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have owned it about 6 months and had no problem until now, thats what i think is wrong. do you know if thermostat is expensive and can i do it myself? if there is air lock is it a big job or will it be garage as i know a little about cars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have owned it about 6 months,i think its theromstat also,had no problem until now. i know a little about cars, can i do it myself or into garage and do you know if it is expensive to buy theromstat? if there is an air lock is it a big job.thanks mate

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry mate i sent two replys didnt think i did im new to sending these..cheers

D

·
0 Posts
The thermostat is around £28 at the moment from eurocarparts with their current 25% discount.
There also the link Gazza82 supplied a couple of days ago
VERNET Alfa Romeo | Car Parts 4 Less UK
I'm not conviced though its the thermostat. If the car has behaved itself for 6 months doubt its an air lock.
I'd normally say bring it round and I'd have a quick look for you but the weather forecast is shockingly bad for the next few days so not ideal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks mate, i know weather not to good i will take it to a friend who works in garage to look at it, just dont want to be putting out lots of money for guess work in trying to find out problem ie theromstat,water pump when i got it serviced was told it had rad leak but it had been fixed. so dont know. i will let you know what happens, cheers gerry

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
when i got the car i got it serviced and was told by garage it looked as if it had had a leak because of corrosion at side of radiator.he thought it had been plugged? he said to keep an eye on water levels. do you think the radiator is the problem

·
Registered
873 Posts
Depends on how much is leaking out. If you are topping up regularly by half a litre or more then whatever the garage previously did to fix the leak has either not worked or the system has sprung a leak elsewhere.

New radiator is the best way to fix a radiator leak but options like Radweld are also widely used with varying success. If the car is parked on a wet surface, coolant will look like a rainbow puddle.

If there is oil in the coolant you have a bigger problem.......

Thermostat is an unlikely cause; as posted already the engine runs cool not hot (I have this problem with my GTV at the moment) but that doesn't mean it's physically impossible for the thermostat to fail and cause overheating, just very very unusual.

L

·
0 Posts
in the 6 months you've owned this car how often have you checked the coolant level?

i'd suspect there is a leak in the system [ most likely coolant rad is corroded ] & during the past few months its slowly weeped away loosing fluid. Its now at a level where the system is LOW in fluid & therefore causing air locks in the system.

Top up the coolant, keep looking for signs of coolant loss. Also inspect the radiator, look for any signs of corrosion such as white or blue colured stains. If there is alot consider replacing the radiator.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the reply, the temp gauge is still fluxuating between 70-90 but I'm going to have a look at it sometime next week as I am off work. I will let you know what the outcome is.
You mentioned oil in the coolant...what would I be looking for? The coolant inside the expansion tank is pink.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for your suggestion. Once I have had a look at the radiator and if I need to replace it do you know the average cost for the radiator? I'll check the coolant level when I am off work and decide whether to take it to a garage or not. I've only checked the coolant level twice and it was normal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts