Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is causing this noise:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwdnZiuo3xwTN2FSTGRVRHQxSE0/edit?usp=sharing (Really bad at 1:07)

1. Tappet damage?
2. Camshaft damage?
3. Belt timing or variator?
4. Big end shell damage?
5. Conrod damage?
6. Crank damage?
7. Something else?

The noise occurs under light acceleration from around 2.500 rpm. At full throttle and idle there is no noise.

Well, I was driving my 156 2,0 Selespeed down the autobahn at 200+ km/h for 5-8 minutes. When I got home driving at low speed i notices the strange engine noise (btw. the fuel Injection warning light was on at that time, now gone - and I used some cheap semi-synthetic motor oil at the last oil change).

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Hmm id like to say a sticky tappet. But I actually think its more sinister given that it occuring through the rev range.

Have you checked your oil level?

Where does the noise come from. Top of the engine. Bottom of the engine.

G

·
0 Posts
I had a listen as well and it does sound like a bottom end shell but not being there it's not easy to give an accurate diagnosis.
Have you had a look at the belt to see if it is in good condition I don't think it is but worth seeing if there is some wear or slack in the belt.
Really need to check the timing to be sure.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
That was my thought Gibot. Thought it might be a shell on the way out. Given the prolonged high rev's I am wondering if the oil has not been quite up to the job at sustained high rev limits.

All this is speculation though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The shells of cylinder 4 had a bit of cracks around the border. But I have no idea, why the shells of cylinder 2 have a different colour?

Well, all 4 changed and the noise is now gone :)

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Rumpelpot!

I have a similar sound on my AR147 1.6TS.

Untitled333242 - YouTube

Sounds like this - I could locate it from the engine... more exactly: could be from the Area of the timing belt. I can feel this sound on the Coolant Hose which is connected to the Waterpump, but it also could come from a guide pulley.
But i am not really sure what it comes from - the car runs fine, still accelerates like usual.

//Pyrlix

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
The two that are "different" have the normal facing metal on them. All the rest have been worn to the copper base, and are utterly knackered. I would be surprised if the crank is undamaged, and I would pull a main cap as well to check those.

If the crank is damaged, shoving in new shells is a short term fix at best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts