Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider phase 1 2.0 TS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum,
I am looking for help as yesterday I tried to close my electric operated soft top from my 916 Spider phase 1. I tried it several times and followed the correct procedures i.e. use hand break, leave the engine running but nothing happens.
I never had any problems with the roof in the past. It always worked accordingly during closing. Although I have to state that by opening I always have to operate the button a few times until the pins were unlocking. Now when activating the button located in the mid console, I am hearing a soft click which I presume is the relay. I tried finding a way by unlocking it manually as prescribed in the manual as there should be two cables located at either end of the battery compartment. I have checked everywhere but they are not there. As I have no garage or carport I am covering my car overnight with a plastic sheet as rain is expected for the next couple of days. I kindly appreciate any help and I am hoping somebody can guide me through how to unlock the roof so I can close it manually by hand.
Thanks in advance.
Regards, Gerrit

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Only the manual hood has the cables to manually release the hood cover. Remove the lining in the cubby hole and you’ll see the motor. That is probably your problem. You should have a tool in the kit for manually operating it should the motor fail (usually caused by the plastic cog going).

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
The electric roof doesn't have the two cables only the manual roof. There should be two buttons under a cover behind the driver's seat (it is on my RHD car anyway) Take the cover off and you'll find the buttons(fig 107). One to unlock the tonneau cover and one to operate the screws that fasten to roof to the tonneau cover once the roof is up. If these buttons don't work then you'll need to use the tool Nelly describes or a similar spanner (fig 108). I've scanned the relevant pages from the manual (Phase 2 car) for you. Apologies the quality isn't great. My scanner doesn't seem to like books that can't be made to lie completely flat. It's legible though. Hope that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Alastpa, thanks for your help. I did find the two buttons behind the drivers seat. There was a cap on top of it so when I lifted the cap, the whole assembly pulled out with the cap still mounted covering the two switches. Nevertheless I tried pressing the two buttons simultaneously as prescribed in the pages you provided, however without success. I can hear the gears turning but nothing happens. Any further ideas? Thanks again in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only the manual hood has the cables to manually release the hood cover. Remove the lining in the cubby hole and you’ll see the motor. That is probably your problem. You should have a tool in the kit for manually operating it should the motor fail (usually caused by the plastic cog going).
Hi, also thanks for the help. I do not have that tool as you’re prescribing.
Are any other alternatives to release the two locks and close the roof again? As long as I can close it and wait for the garage to help me (I have to wait 2 days) helps me. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
It sounds like the gears in your lock motor for the tonneau cover are toast. This is not unheard of as the gears are only made of plastic. In that case you'll have to use the process illustrated in fig 109. Once you've got the tonneau cover unlocked using any plain old spanner of the correct size. (I'm not with my car at the moment so I can't confirm the size but I seem to remember it's a 10mm) just pull the cover up and pull the roof out. Attach it to the windscreen with the clamps in the normal way then lift up the back of the roof and fold the tonneau cover back down. You can try to lock it back down with the switch but if the motor is toast it probably wont lock completely down.

To get to the lock motor (to get the spanner on it) you'll need to take the carpet out of the cubby behind the seats. It's easiest if you remove the battery cover first. The lock motor is mounted in the middle of the rear bulkhead. I've included a picture of the motor so you can get an idea of which bolt you need to turn to unlock the cover.

Once you've got the car to your mechanic you can order replacement gears and spindles from Alfa Romeo Spider (916) Roof Motor 60630546/60621817 Replacement Gear | Totally Alfa and rebuild your old motor. It's much cheaper than buying a whole new motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
This is from the workshop manual and describes how to manually operate the motor. I’m guessing a normal socket could be used instead of the special tool.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Super thanks for the help Nellytheric! Its highly appreciated. Will let you know how it worked. Thx again! Gerrit

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like the gears in your lock motor for the tonneau cover are toast. This is not unheard of as the gears are only made of plastic. In that case you'll have to use the process illustrated in fig 109. Once you've got the tonneau cover unlocked using any plain old spanner of the correct size. (I'm not with my car at the moment so I can't confirm the size but I seem to remember it's a 10mm) just pull the cover up and pull the roof out. Attach it to the windscreen with the clamps in the normal way then lift up the back of the roof and fold the tonneau cover back down. You can try to lock it back down with the switch but if the motor is toast it probably wont lock completely down.

To get to the lock motor (to get the spanner on it) you'll need to take the carpet out of the cubby behind the seats. It's easiest if you remove the battery cover first. The lock motor is mounted in the middle of the rear bulkhead. I've included a picture of the motor so you can get an idea of which bolt you need to turn to unlock the cover.

Once you've got the car to your mechanic you can order replacement gears and spindles from Alfa Romeo Spider (916) Roof Motor 60630546/60621817 Replacement Gear | Totally Alfa and rebuild your old motor. It's much cheaper than buying a whole new motor.
Hi Alastpa, thanks so much for your help. It seems this gear failure is a common problem due to the cheap plastic/PTFE gear wheel failing.The replacement gear looks like a great improvement. Will order it for sure and install it myself as it doesn’t seem to be a science to fo it. Will continue a post with the results. Thx again and take care! Regards Gerrit

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Not to take anything away from Totally Alfa, I've had some excellent items from him, but this is another option, it is made from aluminium and there are others in brass too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot Armoore. Highly appreciated 😊

1 - 11 of 11 Posts