Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I just nipped down to my local filling station - locked the car and went into the garage - Came out, unlocked the car, it wont start.

Some things of relevance:

When I left home tonight to go to the filling station the car wouldnt unlock/disarm - I kept pressing the fob and noticed it flashed very fast a number of time (didnt count how many). It then unlocked and started ok.

When I got back in car at the filling station and tried to start it (without success) the ASR was stuck on and it came up on the dash panel that "ABS had failed" "Take to Dealer"

I drove the car earlier today no worries.

I saw the ABS message earlier today but was pulling away on a hill and it disapeared immediatley so I thought nothing more of it.

Now the GTA is abandoned at the filling station.

Just got home (4 miles walk!) and checked my insurance for breeakdown cover and it seems I refused it at the last renewal (dooh!).

Anyone got any ideas beofre I spend a packet on some tow firm to take it to Alfa Dealer ?

Sob/grrr/Sob

Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just a thought. A lot of troubles with my old 156 were fixed by taking the pos off the battery and then re-connecting it. Worth a try, I thought the alarm had packed up one day and for months used it without the alarm of flashers or blipping then one day disconnected and reconnected and like magis all working again!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow - fast response guys and much appreciated!

Engine is turning over just fine - Its is if something electronic is stopping it from starting...

·
Registered
607 Posts
or a dead cell? strange voltages can make all sorts of things go wrong.

or a peculiar earth??? could also be the old aimless wander of electricity.

either way - electric abnormality, good luck sorting it out mate

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
benc159 said:
Just a thought. A lot of troubles with my old 156 were fixed by taking the pos off the battery and then re-connecting it. Worth a try, I thought the alarm had packed up one day and for months used it without the alarm of flashers or blipping then one day disconnected and reconnected and like magis all working again!
Thanks benc159 - I will try this

·
Administrator
46,143 Posts
Does the 156 have the fuel cut-off switch? Look for a little rubber button under the passenger seat and give it a press.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmm - not that I'm aware of and right now at -1c I dont fancy the walk back to check - Anyone know if there is a fuel cutoff switch on the car? Something I can check along with the battery pos lead in the morning. I keep thinking back to the car not unlocking/disarming and the LED on the fob going a bit crazy for a second of two before I started it to drive to the garage....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys - So what am I looking? seat fully back or fully forward etc? Havent seen when cleaning the car but guess I wasnt looking specifically either

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Under passenger seat at the front, is a ridge in the floor on top of this is a large rubber thingy (you won't see it but feel it) the switch is under this....

Simes.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Don't know where you live, but if it was near me (greater Manchester) I'd be in a sleeping bag...

Do you have any mates in the AA - they are the member not the car?

That will recover you to the dealer?

worth asking around...

Simes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Simes said:
Don't know where you live, but if it was near me (greater Manchester) I'd be in a sleeping bag...

Do you have any mates in the AA - they are the member not the car?

That will recover you to the dealer?

worth asking around...

Simes.
I do have a mate - an AA member - but he's 40 miles away - does he not have to be with the car when they arrive?

Do you know why the switch may have tripped? Have got a lift down in 45 mins - Am going to take tools for the Battery Terminal and a torch to try and find the fuel switch...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Might be way off here but I remember about a year ago I was being collected by a friend in a FIAT and I hoped in the front passenger seat and lifted the bar to roll the seat back, at the exact same time he floored it and my seat flew back and thunked into the last notch - within 100 feet the car was dead - no alarm no nothing - turned out I'd knocked off the fuel switch when I slammed the seat back - could this have happened at some stage - does sound like the fuel cutoff switch was hit

·
Registered
821 Posts
floydstar said:
Do you know why the switch may have tripped? Have got a lift down in 45 mins - Am going to take tools for the Battery Terminal and a torch to try and find the fuel switch...
I know this is a massive cliche :rolleyes:, but have you looked in the manual? The fuel cut-off should be listed in there!

:)

·
Administrator
46,143 Posts
floydstar said:
Do you know why the switch may have tripped?
Tackleberry is dead right, it can be tripped of something hits it, or the chair in a particular way.

I tripped the one on my old 145 while hoovering the car out, and missed a Manchester United cup game because of it, as I only realised what the problem was the next day :(
On the upside, they played a youth team, and lost 3-0 to Leicester! :D

Unless all the alarm problems you talk about are just coincidental though, chances are this isn't what's wrong :(

Good luck! I hope you find out the problem quickly, easily, and cheaply :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK - Went back and depressed the Fule Switch - It was UP.

Needed a booster battery to get it turning over (must have killed it last night trying)

NO good - Now as well as ABS Failure & ASR ON warning I get EBD Failure, Turn Off, Take to dealer.

Am just charging the battery and once charged will try disconnection and reconnecting the Positive as suggested by benc159.

Failing that my Breakdown Cover (that I added to my policy last night!) comes into play on Saturday so I'll use that to get the car to the dealer for no doubt an expensive investigation

Thanks for all the advice - I'll post back when I have the diagnosis.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts