Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm after a bit of advice about my daughters 1992 Nova 1.4SRi.

She's just got back from a 500-mile round trip, during which the car was fine. She took it out on Monday morning and it just died and she was unable to start it again.

I've had a look and although there was almost no oil in it ( :rolleyes: ) I've topped it up and it does still turn over on the starter. I've done a compression test and cylinders 1 and 3 read about 120psi while 2 and 4 read a big fat zero :(

The plugs were not particularly fouled and there's no mayo on the oil filler cap. She didn't report any overheating or smoke (but then she may just not have noticed!).

I was considering getting a head gasket kit and trying that, but I'm not convinced that will help - what do you guys think?

G

·
Hmm, is it financially worth repairing mate being a near on 20 year old Nova? :confused: That is of course if it's something major such as head gasket, cylinders etc etc, but if you can do the work yourself then I guess you might as well sort it.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I certainly wouldn't put it into the garage for this, as you say its just not worth it.

I'm just wondering if its even worth trying a head gasket (which is about £30 inc bolts and will probably take me all day to do).

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Sorry but when I read the thread title I thought "fantastic!" :lol::lol:

Seriously though, on the basis of how much you could pick up a 1.4 fiesta it would make far more economical sense to get another car, the problem is with such cars that£30 could easier turn into £300 if you find that the head gasket doesn't help & you have to spend so much more money on parts & oil etc. Also consider things like bodywork & rust issues whilst it's like this, one day these things can turn into MOT failures & it may not be economical to fix it, unless you're a dab hand with this & you're repairing your Sprint yourself

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know what you are saying and this will be the last repair I think. I've spent £500 on it over the past two years getting it through MoTs etc and won't be spending any more. If I go ahead with the head gasket repair and it fixes it then great, if not then its off to the scrap yard (or eBay as I call it!).

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Yep, old cars have to be looked after well as they die, I've just recently bought a Capri which is fairly solid & has been well maintained.

G

·
Taking the head off a GM SOHC engine is really easy. I expect it's burnt an exhaust valve out, not unknown. If you can fix it for £50 and a day's work it's worth it. If you take the head off and the bore is scored all to buggery where a ring has picked up due to no oil, then it's scrap. Either get it collected and weighed in. ot reassemble it with the old gasket and either drive it to a breaker or chop it in for a new Picanto or whatever - it's worth 2 grand if it runs!

G

·
As it stands it's worth the square root of sweet FA. If you take the head off, it will still be worth the square root of sweet FA. With the head off fill the chambers with a fairly light fluid eg. WD40. If it seems away the suspect the valves on 2 and 4. If it doesn't, try the same trick with the cylinders. If it seeps past the pistons on 2 and 4 the bottom end is shot and it's frag feed. If neither the pistons nor the valves how signs of leakage, check the head is reasonably flat using a steel ruler then throw it back together with your new gasket set. Given the problem pots aren't adjacent I'd suspect something more than a gasket but you never know.

Worst case, it's knackered and you have to scrap it. Best case, you get to fix it for £30. You can pick up cars very cheaply but you can't get running MoT's cars for £30, and the cheap ones usually need a bit of fettling.

Just noticed it's an SRi too. There are precisely none on ebay at the moment (just checked) so I doubt you would have any trouble finding a buyer even with it broken.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I'm guessing its not the head gasket as when I took the cambelt cover off, this happened :eek:

Yep, the cam wheel just fell off. The fixing bolt had snapped and what I guess was at one point a locating dowel was worn smooth. Anyone want a Nova 1.4SRi non-runner with a knackered engine? :(

Attachments

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,106 Posts
cambelt looks ok, though :)

shame; i had a Nova 1.3SR and i loved it, warts 'n' all. Would love a spin in another Nova SR :)

G

·
I'd be inclined to take the head off for a look. The timing has probably been all over the place so the compression issue is most likely to be bent valves.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, at least two valves and/or two pistons, plus probably a new cam, plus gasket kit, plus at least two weekends work...all on top of the money I've spent getting it through the last two MoTs...its time to call a halt, so I'm going to sell it as-is for as much as I can get then see if its enough to get her something else.

G

·
Yeah, at least two valves and/or two pistons, plus probably a new cam, plus gasket kit, plus at least two weekends work...all on top of the money I've spent getting it through the last two MoTs...its time to call a halt, so I'm going to sell it as-is for as much as I can get then see if its enough to get her something else.

If it's reasonably solid I think you'll do OK selling it. They are still in demand for dropping XEs in.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,572 Posts
i would have said just drop a different engine in it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts