Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Goood Afternoon,

Sorry to bother you but I've got a problem on my 33 SIII. I changed my starter and after dodging all the hoses I noticed some coolant on the floor of the garage.

I've checked the entire circuit and there is no leak anywhere however I managed to locate the problem. The Driver's Side Drain Plug is the culprit, its dropping a drop every 2-3 hours but none when running.

Now I am worried as I need to replace the coolant but don't remember in which direction to loosen the nut when working from infront of the car and not behind it, also I don't want to snap it in the process.

Any ideas what could have happened, did it ever occur to anyone? What do I do use PTFE a New washer ? Never seen like it.

Appreciate the Help

Regards,

Keith

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Not heard of that before.
First I would just nip it up a bit. over time constant heat expansion and cold contraction may have caused it to leak.
I've flushed mine a couple of times and i'm not sure if they have crush washers but I've never had a leak.

Lefty loosy, righty tighty as you are looking at a nut :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, I'll check it and if all else fails I'll do an instant gasket to seal it until I need to open it up again.

Regards,

Keith

·
Registered
174 Posts
There are two bolts for draining coolant. These bolts has alloy washers which during the years they have simply flatten and no matter how tight you bolt them, coolant will drip. I have personally installed copper washers and no problem whatsoever.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, I'll get them replaced :) by any chance you dont know the size of the washer as I don't have many around the house.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts