Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've just picked up a brera today and I've parked up then started the engine, was running for 5 mins before I set off, started reversing and a load of smoke was pouring from the engine. I had a quick look through all the steam and it seem coolant has ****ed all over the engine and dripping out from underneath.

I'm kind of stuck at the moment. Does anyone know what could be the problem?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
There's a plastic core plug in the cylinder block which often fails, and can be replaced with a metal one. More info if you do a search

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply mate, where about is it, and can I do anything to get it home, I'm about 5 miles away!
I've had a quick search but couldn't find anything (I'm on my phone which isn't great for this)

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
It here.

IMG_0800.jpg

It usually snaps off leaving a hollow plastic core.

You could try putting a self tapper in making sure it does not touch the thread in the ally, fill it back up with coolant and leave the expansion tank cap loose.

This could get you home but could also cause a lot more damage if you don't know what your doing. Then get it swapped out for the metal screw.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does look like that's the problem. I've pinched a screw from the boot and put it in the hole. Just need to know whether to just loosen the expansion tank top of completely take it off and rest it on top. There is still coolant in the expansion tank.

Thanks a lot for the help guys, especially on a Saturday night!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help tonight, it's much appreciated :thumbs: I loosened the tank, got the screw in the hole and checked when i got back and there doesn't seem to have been any further leakage!

Not a great start to my Brera ownership, there's nothing quite like having (what i thought was smoke at first) pouring out of the bonnet after having the car about 5 hours. The 156 is looking like a saint now!

How difficult is it to get the remaining plastic out to replace with the metal ones?
Also, do any more need doing? I've seen a plastic one towards the back left at the top.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It here.

View attachment 188081

It usually snaps off leaving a hollow plastic core.

You could try putting a self tapper in making sure it does not touch the thread in the ally, fill it back up with coolant and leave the expansion tank cap loose.

This could get you home but could also cause a lot more damage if you don't know what your doing. Then get it swapped out for the metal screw.
Way off topic but Sweet looking bay coxy :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Thanks for all the help tonight, it's much appreciated :thumbs: I loosened the tank, got the screw in the hole and checked when i got back and there doesn't seem to have been any further leakage!

Not a great start to my Brera ownership, there's nothing quite like having (what i thought was smoke at first) pouring out of the bonnet after having the car about 5 hours. The 156 is looking like a saint now!

How difficult is it to get the remaining plastic out to replace with the metal ones?
Also, do any more need doing? I've seen a plastic one towards the back left at the top.
Its not to hard. Use a flat blade screwdriver and wind it out, take your time as you don't want to damage the threads. Another tip is to keep the hose pipe topping up the coolant very slowly while you remove the broken plastic bit, as this will flush out any little bits of plastic that might come.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice! I may have a go myself as i don't particularly want to be driving with the self tapper in.

I did read on another thread on here that the pitch is different on the new metal bolt and as i don't know how to re tap the thread on the coolant rail thought i would just get a stainless m10x1.25 bolt and stick that in.

Does anyone know where i could get one of these locally? i had a look on the screwfix website but couldn't find the right size. Also what depth does it need to be?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I may have a go myself as i don't particularly want to be driving with the self tapper in.

I did read on another thread on here that the pitch is different on the new metal bolt and as i don't know how to re tap the thread on the coolant rail thought i would just get a stainless m10x1.25 bolt and stick that in.

Does anyone know where i could get one of these locally? i had a look on the screwfix website but couldn't find the right size. Also what depth does it need to be?
Price it up at your local dealer. They don't cost much and you know it right.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Unsure if it needs re tapping, but the metal screw is a revised Alfa part.

View attachment Bleed screw.pdf

Item 13 & 14.

OK not that cheap, the metal screw is showing at £7.70

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:

I called the dealers yesterday, they only sell the new metal version, but confirmed it was a different thread to the original so a new rail would need to be fitted. This would be £130(something)+VAT for the part.

Disappointing that ALFA have obviously recognised a problem and changed the part for a more suitable one, but also changed the thread. Effectively, there is no replacement for a shoddy part and seems like a way for them to make a bit of cash :tut: on top of that, there's a metal one in my 156 2.4 JTD!

I ordered the plug (from the link i posted earlier) which was £2 + a 20p washer, fitted perfectly and doesn't seem to be any leakage, so hopefully job done for £2.20! Quickest and cheapest fix i've ever done i think. The remaining plastic that was in there from the original plug was easy to get out, just wiggled a flathead screwdriver in there and unscrewed it.

Again a MASSIVE thanks to everyone who has helped, especially on a Saturday night. My breakdown hadn't transferred over and so I was pretty much stuck. :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts