Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Hoping you guys will be able to help me. I have just bought a 1998 GTV V6 the car was stolen recovered and has broken locks etc and no keys.
I have a new set of locks, ignition barrel and a red key (without fob).
I have not owned a GTV before only a 156. My 156 has the alarm and remote locking on the key but the GTV has nothing on the key.

- Do I need a separate alarm fob etc and if so what will this do?? will it act to open car remotely, set the alarm and open the boot??

Under the centre console I have an Alfa M99 tfa Remote controlled car alarm central box. I am guessing this is the META unit that so many threads are about lol. Also the alarm siren in the engine bay was disconnected when I got the car.
When I connect the car battery the alarm goes off hazards flash and I have a code light on the dash on and engine will not start.

What do I need to do to get this sorted out?? I assume I need to get some sort of remote key fob for starters and then get it programmed to suit alarm and yellow key code box and maybe rear boot lock also??
Is there anyone that can program the yellow key code box and the META alarm box and also maybe the boot release??? Not sure what boxes need programming and to what type of key fob or in what order???

Thanks
Henry

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
First - get clear in your mind that the alarm system and the immobiliser are completely seperate - no connection between the two whatsoever. Best thing you can do with the standard alarm is to disconnect it and throw it away, and fit a decent aftermarket unit that will interface with the central locking...

As for the immobiliser - which is what the code light on the dash is indicating is activated - you need to either buy a brand new "virgin" yellow code box, which "should" code to the key and the ECU when first connected, or source a complete key / barrel / code box / ECU set-up...

Hope that helps.....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Thanks for the help.
Does the standard alfa key have some electrics inside it then? I assumed it was just a plain key thats why I couldnt understand how it could talk to the code box.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hi Thanks for the help.
Does the standard alfa key have some electrics inside it then? I assumed it was just a plain key thats why I couldnt understand how it could talk to the code box.
There is a small chip in the key that immobiliser ECU will recognise then the immobiliser ECU will send another code to the engine ECU to enable starting. Here is a guide, Alfa Romeo Key code system

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help!!!!!
Is it still possible to buy the red GTV keys from Alfa does anyone know or does anyone else sell them???
Also if I decide to disconnect the alarm can I just pull the plugs out of the Alarm controller?? I have already disconnected the siren but hazards flash now.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Yes, you can disconnect the alarm ECU, will have no detriment to operation of the car. The indicators are trigged by the alarm ECU. You could give Jamie at Alfa Workshop a ring, he'll point you in the right direction. Think you'll most probably have to go to an Alfa stealer, if you want to use the original equipment.

·
Registered
146 Posts
With the Meta alarm you have a switch off plug that needs a key under the wheel arch. It should be possible to remove the switch and hardwire to off as a quick fix.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Thanks for all the help!!!!!
Is it still possible to buy the red GTV keys from Alfa does anyone know or does anyone else sell them???
Also if I decide to disconnect the alarm can I just pull the plugs out of the Alarm controller?? I have already disconnected the siren but hazards flash now.
If you go to an Alfa dealer armed with your V5, they can order you a replacement key and code it to your ECU/code box, (at a price) - but of course as you have a replacement ignition barrel that may not be much use......though the chip can be swapped between keys if yoiu are handy.....depending on the type of key (some are solid with the chip embedded...)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd recommend the two links that Markos has given you........

The first Abacus will help you with fobs for the existing Meta Alarm

The second - Data recall can interogate the imobiliser and code your keys to work with that....

I've used both of these companies and they helped me sort out a similar problem to yours....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts