Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help needed:

Doing a brake service (Cleaning brakepads) on my Giulia 2,2 2016 ended up causing these faults:

(I did activate brake service from the infotainment menu before starting,
Now: Car drives, but only brakes at right front+left rear. Parking brake does engage/brake on both rears ).

What can possibly be / have gone wrong?

·
Registered
167 Posts
You're supposed to disconnect the battery before doing it. I don't know if the 5 restarts method will clear them. You may need dealer tools.

·
Registered
886 Posts
When I had front pads replaced they had to recalibrate the braking system with Witech software (official software for Giulia).

·
Registered
801 Posts
Both times my brakes have been worked on the garage had problems clearing faults afterwards. The first place just switched pads and was a back street job, definitely didn't have Witech and managed to clear down the faults with a generic fault reader.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is a strange one because I have recently changed my Quad front pads without any warning lights being displayed whatsoever.

Because of the "brake by wire" aspect of this car I probably would have avoided changing them myself until I saw a video by Auto Fanatic who was trying out different pads to improve brake feel. He addressed the issue of the system being electronic and said that having consulted a couple of Alfa techs there was no requirement to disable the system for a front pad change. Right or wrong he appeared to suffer no difficulties, even though his new pads had no wear sensor connection, so suitably emboldened I went ahead and changed my own (OEM).

I can't really see how the car would know you are changing the pads, and therefore take offence, unless perhaps by deactivating the parking brake in the service menu it then requires some other compensatory input. You do have to re-initialize the system in the menu afterwards. I didn't deactivate the parking brake so I don't think it knew.

I realise this flies to the contrary of everything in this thread so far, but that's my experience.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Won't be touching my brakes then. :titanic:
Agreed - a job for a dealer or a good independent with access to AR documentation.

Andy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts