Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can not belive it !!!

Was driving home just now and thought hmm steering seems a little lite so did some wiggles on the road all seemed fine.

Pulled into my car park on left hand down, big crack !!! thought **** that doesn't sound right eased off and gently accelerated and some nasty noises, then reversed into space carefully and the sterring kind of set itself back to centre without any help from me, then put full right hand lock on and nursed it forward but it goes about 6 inches and then resists and i dont want to push it any further !!!!!!

So gutted and so fed up with my car every time i think shes sorted it all goes wrong again :(

PLEASE HELP !!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Turns out according to the RAC man my gearbox has gone :( oh dear

you guys got any idea how much a new one is or where i can source a second hand 1 from or get mine rebuilt ?

Oh wooooo is me and i hate this fecking car

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
That sounds like diff failure mate, did it happen on full lock? Unlucky mines in at the moment having a Q2 fitted (thats the silver lining) DO NOT TRY TO DRIVE IT.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Thats a right bugger Franky, sorry to hear about it! No turbo action for you then:rolleyes:

EDIT Just seen Ghostys post!:eek: RAC men dont know everything! Q2 ahoy!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'm sure there's an 'Exploding diff' thread (or similar) on the general forum which I'll now have a look for, but if it is the diff going, it seems like it makes sense to change to a Q2 before the original one goes bang... Am I right in thinking there are no signs as to when/if it might go, it just goes all of a sudden?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Franky/guys, I know you had an accident a few months back where you went over a roundabout (?), might that have affected the diff?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I'm sure there's an 'Exploding diff' thread (or similar) on the general forum which I'll now have a look for, but if it is the diff going, it seems like it makes sense to change to a Q2 before the original one goes bang... Am I right in thinking there are no signs as to when/if it might go, it just goes all of a sudden?
Yes thats right in most cases although mine grumbled and popped a bit for a week or more then when it went enough for me to take notice I managed to nurse it 30 miles to my mechanic.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Am I right in thinking there are no signs as to when/if it might go, it just goes all of a sudden?
Think it just goes!

A

·
0 Posts
These diff failures seem to be happening pretty regularly at the minute - I say nervously...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well its now at the garage who within 3 secs of getting in and driving it back towards the ramp said " yep, thats your drive shafts / CV joint " As he edged it back slowly it made a nasty noise and the wheel jumped at the same time as said noise.

RAC suck balls in no uncertain terms i pay them a fortune and for what, some spotty little kid to come round and tell me my gear box has blown causing me near heart failure !!

So glad that it is only a drive shaft and not my gear box, few :)

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
RAC suck balls in no uncertain terms i pay them a fortune and for what, some spotty little kid to come round and tell me my gear box has blown causing me near heart failure !!

So glad that it is only a drive shaft and not my gear box, few :)
Good news Franky:thumbs:

RAC suck balls:lol: :cheese: :lol:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
i'd say diff not cv too. just got mine back today.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,489 Posts
bad luck fella, hope it hasnt taken the casing out too and its 'just' the diff.

you all have me worried now

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
if you have the cash to do it, then its a no brainer. £480-£500 to do it but as mine was splattered all over the inside of the box it was double the price

A

·
0 Posts
Come on down Andrew and get your car back down to me for a diff, you must have got over the engine bill by now:D

Ned
Just about got over that bill yeah..
Q2 is certainly on my to do list at some point :)
Exhaust and a bit of paintwork first though

1 - 20 of 26 Posts