Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my drive to work this morning I heard a squeel and then I could smell burning rubber, pulled up and looked under the bonnet and it looks like the belt has snapped, question is which belt(see pic) and will I need to get the car recovered or will it make it to a garage for a new one.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
If the car carried on running, you may be lucky and it is just the Aux belt (that runs the AC and the alternator). Get both changed immediately, if one belt disintegrated, it may have damaged the other.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car carried on running fine I drove about half a mile more just to get it to work. Would you say its safe to drive to a garage?

·
Registered
701 Posts
It is indeed the A/C - Generator-belt that has snapped....This belt is a real PA** in change, whereas the other is a 30 min job. I would recommend replacing both as they are 10-15£ each and the big belt needs to be taken of anyway to replace the BAS**** belt ;-) :)

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Car carried on running fine I drove about half a mile more just to get it to work. Would you say its safe to drive to a garage?
'Should' be OK, steering will probably be quite heavy, and your battery will be getting weak as wont be getting charged

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Garage has just been in touch, belt has snapped because the pulley has melted in place!!! Also power steering did fail when the belt snapped. Hopefully shouldnt be any other damage.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Garage has just been in touch, belt has snapped because the pulley has melted in place!!! Also power steering did fail when the belt snapped. Hopefully shouldnt be any other damage.
Really strange as the pictures shows the "big belt" in which takes care of powersteering to be in position. This belt shouldnt at all be affected if the small belt between generator & A/C comporessor snaps....

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Really strange as the pictures shows the "big belt" in which takes care of powersteering to be in position. This belt shouldnt at all be affected if the small belt between generator & A/C comporessor snaps....
On the 1.9 JTD (which he has), the aux belt runs the AC/Alternator & Power-Steering pump.
So the steering will be heavy.

Your 2.4 has two aux belts, the smaller of which just runs the alternator.

Reactions: Chipmik

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
As for driving it to the garage, the worry would be bits of the broken aux belt getting caught in the cambelt and whipping that off... :paranoid:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cambelt was fine, only drove about 3 miles to the garage, which was fun with no power steering, the chap at the garage showed me the pulleys?The belt goes round and 2 of them where completly melted, got both replaced with a new belt for £160 so cant really complain.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
On the 1.9 JTD (which he has), the aux belt runs the AC/Alternator & Power-Steering pump.

Good to hear I'm not going mad! :)

·
Registered
701 Posts

Xcellent, learned something new today then :) As he stated that a belt had snapped, i could only imagine it beeing the small aux-belt...But since no belt actually snapped, you solved the puzzle with 1.9 info :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts