Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided that I need to have my mirror covers dipped, but for the life of me I cannot get them off the car. Help, what is the magic trick to getting them off.
TIA

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Use some plastic trim removal tools, you could use screwdrivers but risk damage occurring, remove the mirror carefully and you should be able to see the tangs of the cover that hold it onto the body of the mirror housing, depressing those release the cover. When you go to replace it line everything up so that the tangs align with the slots, they are easily displaced.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use some plastic trim removal tools, you could use screwdrivers but risk damage occurring, remove the mirror carefully and you should be able to see the tangs of the cover that hold it onto the body of the mirror housing, depressing those release the cover. When you go to replace it line everything up so that the tangs align with the slots, they are easily displaced.
Thats great, thanks, is it obvious, once the mirror is out which way I need to lift it off the base?

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
If you look past the mirror adjustment motor and mount you should be able to see the hooked tangs, just, unlatch those and the cover should pull off to the front of the car.

If you look at the image of the door mirror minus the cover you can see the slots that the cover's tangs go through, you'll need to enlarge to see all of them and even then one or two are not immediately obvious.

https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Product&ProdID=20513&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrfidg62d4gIVYbXtCh3aAwwqEAQYAiABEgKqNfD_BwE

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats great, thanks, is it obvious, once the mirror is out which way I need to lift it off the base?

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Yes, once the tag hooks are released it should just pull off.

·
Registered
37,996 Posts
I might be wrong here but I seem to remember them having a screw holding them in place.

You need to remove the glass first to get to it?

Like I said I could be wrong, it was nearly 4 years ago I took mine off to swap for chrome ones.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I think they're the same mirrors as on the 159, if so, pull the glass out, if you can get a suction cup, this is ideal to remove them without breaking the glass.

To echo armoor above, the mirror caps are held with 4 tangs which protrude through the back of the mirror, all visible and within reach.

Once you've disengaged them, with a screwdriver or similar, you need to pull the cover backwards, and rotate it slightly downwards so it clears the mirror pivot point and remove.

The plastic has a bit of give in it, so it will flex - the trickiest part is getting them back on.

·
Registered
35,134 Posts
I found it quite easy to just pull the mirror caps off. Getting the on is the more challenging bit where getting the glass out of the way is useful as you need to guide the clips totally horizontally.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
That's useful, not just because it confirms what I said previously. The pictures are certainly of help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts