Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Herself's, daughters boyfriend, wants a car, we found him a £325 Fiat seicento, taxed and tested only 900cc, he has not had his licence a month and is only 18, lives in one of the worst postcodes in the land L8,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,cheapest quote so far, third party only;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;£11,000....................:rant:

·
Vendor
46,002 Posts
Try 3PF&T, its usually cheaper than 3P.

But yes, its pretty shocking, he may have to just do without. :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
Try Quinn Direct, they're pretty good for 18 year olds. If his next birthday is coming up soon, wait until then...my insurance company wanted an extra £1200 for putting me on the day before my 18th birthday...

Direct Line were good a while back, but they recently changed their policies and now won't insure 18 year olds on...anything :(.

If you're running through the comparison sites, try Parkers Compare - tends to come up with majorly different quotes from anyone else.

I'm quite lucky, my postcode is counted as the lowest risk area...I still paid £4800 this year...mind you it was for a group 26 Alfa 147 1.6 T Spark :D

Failing all the above, go for E Car insurance, and choose the Pay as you go option. They're the only company in the UK that does monthly insurance for 18 year olds. Could work out cheaper...

Also, some insurance companies will lower the price if you add on additional drivers (E Car doesn't, Quinn just prices it on the highest risk driver), so an older relative (preferably female) with a good driving history could lower the price.

Failing that again...Move to the country. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Basically, there are a few little tips one can try

Use Mum/Dad's postcode - normally quite good but I don't think it is fully legal. Hard to prove either way though where one permanently resides.

Tinkle with Job Title - Admin Clerks are one I remember that get cheaper car insurance. You obviously can only do this to a point. It's just that many jobs include various aspects of specific roles - choose the one that suits best.

For me - Fully Comp was cheaper than 3rd Party - don't now why but I just went with it.

Lastly, this (alongside postcode) made the biggest difference, add a named driver who has bags of experience and no points on their license or recent claims (think last 5 years).

If these don't bring it down much then I think you'll just have to accept what you've got.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Basically, there are a few little tips one can try

Use Mum/Dad's postcode - normally quite good but I don't think it is fully legal. Hard to prove either way though where one permanently resides.

Tinkle with Job Title - Admin Clerks are one I remember that get cheaper car insurance. You obviously can only do this to a point. It's just that many jobs include various aspects of specific roles - choose the one that suits best.

For me - Fully Comp was cheaper than 3rd Party - don't now why but I just went with it.

Lastly, this (alongside postcode) made the biggest difference, add a named driver who has bags of experience and no points on their license or recent claims (think last 5 years).

If these don't bring it down much then I think you'll just have to accept what you've got.
The first two suggestions will earn you a one way ticket to having the policy voided from inception so when the inevitable accident happens you will have to foot the other persons bill not the insurer, they can and will find out very easily trust me, I really suggest you don't do that!

Problem is he is 18 with an L8 postcode, may as well buy a bus pass for him as it will be cheaper :(

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
The first two suggestions will earn you a one way ticket to having the policy voided from inception so when the inevitable accident happens you will have to foot the other persons bill not the insurer, they can and will find out very easily trust me, I really suggest you don't do that!

Problem is he is 18 with an L8 postcode, may as well buy a bus pass for him as it will be cheaper :(
isnt using ones parents details called fronting? unless he still lives at home of course :D

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Try Quinn / Aviva / Admiral. Do add at least one experienced aged parent. Don't front or pretend to live elsewhere. Has he done the pass plus thingy? that helps with many insurers. If you have a choice go the accelerated bonus route. Good Luck :thumbs:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/Passplusdrivingcoursefornewdrivers/DG_182846

Insurers offering discounts
The following insurers offer motor insurance benefits to car drivers who have passed Pass Plus:
4Counties Insurance
AA Insurance
Adrian Flux Insurance Services
Churchill Insurance
CIS
Click4Gap (enter voucher code 'PASSPLUS10GAP')
Direct Line
Endsleigh
i-Kube
Privilege
Quinn Direct Insurance Ltd
Royal and Sun Alliance
Swinton Car Insurance
Young Marmalade
Provided by the Driving Standards Agency

·
Registered
87 Posts
Try Quinn / Aviva / Admiral. Do add at least one experienced aged parent. Don't front or pretend to live elsewhere. Has he done the pass plus thingy? that helps with many insurers. If you have a choice go the accelerated bonus route. Good Luck :thumbs:

Claiming a car insurance discount after completing Pass Plus : Directgov - Motoring
Passplus applies to 10 insurance companies, and doesn't make much, if any difference at all. Get a quote with and without first, since the money knocked off could well be less than the cost of taking the qualification.

Accerlerated bonus generally applies to monthly insurance, and it's only Admiral and ECar that are offering one that will make a difference at the moment.

Don't front or pretend to live elsewhere, definately, it will mess things up big time.

As for the career changes, use this:
Cheap Car Insurance Job Picker: tweaking your job title can make your car insurance cheaper

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
11k!!!!

WTFH is that all about?!?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Honestly, it would be cheaper to move and then get insurance than it would be to stay living in L8...

and Evel I bought my Bella for £800 :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
My daughter is 18 and passed her test in April we gave her our 05 panda and then tried to insure her at first we were getting quotes of £4000.00 ish:cry: and given that she is a student and therefore skint I wasn't very happy . After putting her details in over and over again we got fully comp for £1800.00 and that is in her as named driver not too bad for Liverpool city centre :eek:

·
Registered
7,154 Posts

I'm not sure that tinkering with your job title would affect your insurance too much as as long it's a fair description, they can't have much to complain about. I have no job description myself, so I'd be buggered if they got picky about it.

I've got graphic designer on mine because there's no option for "partner in a marketing agency with responsibility for production, IT and website build plus an online greetings card business as a sideline". The one thing I do not consider myself is a graphic designer, but that's the closest thing that is ever an option or that most people understand to explain what I do.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts