Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone (anyone?).

Im in the process of choosing a 156 to buy as my first alpha having admired them since their introduction.
I am not sure which model to buy?
I intitially thought that the fastest v6 would be the most fun, but have since heard that the heavier v6 affects the balance of the car negatively?

As nearly all my driving is on country lanes, handling is very important, but I would like good acceleration as well.
My current car is a Volvo 850 T5r estate which is obviously much bigger but has 240 hp so is very quick but handles like a canal boat.

Could anyone advise me on the best all round package, and also things to watch out for over and above the cambelt at 36k issues posted here. Also which is more important milage or age?
Thanks for reading thus far- look forward to hearing from you
Regards Vince

H

·
0 Posts
Re: Help !alpha virgin needs 156 buying advice!

Welcome to AO :D

*PSSSST*

It's A-L-F-A ;)

N

·
0 Posts

Welcome dude.

Don't worry, I always make the mistake of spelling
Vodafone as Vodaphone! ;)

·
Registered
7,669 Posts

avalon said:
I initially thought that the fastest v6 would be the most fun, but have since heard that the heavier v6 affects the balance of the car negatively?
Yes the nose is heavier, but it's not really a problem.... you simply adapt your driving style by timing your lift-off/braking/turn-in/power-on etc, and you can induce over-steer as required...at fast road speeds anyway.

And the V6 noise is addictive :) :D

·
Administrator
60,442 Posts

Hi Avalon, good luck in your hunt for the, best for you, alfa:) Glad you joined enjoy looking around the site. Cheers:)

·
Registered
6,451 Posts

Welcome to AO :) The 2.0 is probably the best compromise for performance and handling, but the V6 is sooo lovely and a suspension kit would sort the handling....as long as you can afford to fuel it :D

·
Registered
396 Posts

personal prefrence for me would be a remapped 1.9jtd, same wieght as 2.0TS and loads of mid range grunt effortless overtaking. I think the 2.4jtd has awesome power but its heavy like the v6

·
Registered
111 Posts

I was looking for speed too but I decided on the 2.0 TwinSpark and its great really nice handling and great fun. Just make sure it isn't making the Diesel noise at idle (knackered variator, head, belts and cam needs to come off). Make sure the belts are fairly recent too as they should be changed 3yrs / 36k miles which ever is shorter.

·
Registered
274 Posts

Hi Avalon, welcome! ChirsUK jumped me a bit on this one, but for what it's worth: there's a great buyers guide on there. I settled for the 156 2L TS, but am missing the low-end torque you would get with a diesel plant. The latter is also more fuel-efficient. But then, the TS has SUCH a nice howl above 5000 rpm...Good luck with the decision!

W

·
0 Posts

Chris and Eduardo, why are you advising this person to go to another forum when they've only just joined here? Not very nice to the owners and members of this site.

This is not a comment on the forum mentioned, but etiquette should be to welcome people, not send them elsewhere when we are able to offer similar advice :D

wrinx

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

On another forum, in a tech thread I decided to (semi jokingly) say are us v6 owners idiots, cos the 2.0 is better through bends, and even they must also be idiots, because the 1.8 is revvier?

Its funny how all those heavier and revvier people didn't respond, yet all the v6 owners sung praises. (until they realised how much they spent on petrol:lol:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Hi Everyone thanks for your advice so far. Still not sure whether 2litre will feel quick enough after the Volvo? How much difference does remapping make? Does it affect reliability? Am I better off going for remapped 2 litre , or v6 with upgraded suspension? Will it then bottom out and knacker the sump on british country roads? So many choices, so little time!!! Alfa not Alpha? I will write it out 100 times alfa alfa alfa alfa alfa..........................................eventually
Cheers folks, regards Vince

·
Registered
111 Posts

Just depends how much you want to blow on fuel tax :p. The V6 is a nice engine but requires even more maintenance than the 4 pot T-Spark's and cam belts snapping is even more of a problem oh and they used a water pump with PLASTIC fins on! :rolleyes: which has a tendency to fail quite badly with disastrous results. I've test drove multiple 1.8's,2.0's and V6's and I must say the V6 doesn't feel that much faster than a nicely running 2.0.

W

·
0 Posts

avalon said:
Alfa not Alpha? I will write it out 100 times alfa alfa alfa alfa alfa..........................................eventually
Cheers folks, regards Vince
We want to see the proof ;)

wrinx

F

·
0 Posts

whats wrong with 1.8 may i ask? sounds better at higher revs !

not that much faster at the top end or acceleration ! :rant:

·
Registered
6,455 Posts

Hi Vince and welcome, I have owned both a 1.8TS and a 2.5v6 156's, both were/are veloce's and can't really tell much of a difference in the handling department, cause like you I was concerned, but I have no regrets getting the 2.5, and as said above if you think it's inadequate, then just up-rate the suspension, It really does depend on your budget really, the GTA's are fantastic if you can afford one, and have you considered a 2.0 JTS 165bhp? (these replace the TS engines in around 2003) unfortunately remapping the TS won't bring out much more power, unlike the diesels which will have a big benefit when chipped! Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
376 Posts

Yeh The 2ltr JTS it pretty fast, just make sure to get 2003 and after
the mk1's are good but the mk2's have problems ironed out. like the selespeed gearbox for one. Good luck.

W

·
0 Posts

folgore said:
whats wrong with 1.8 may i ask? sounds better at higher revs !

not that much faster at the top end or acceleration ! :rant:
Calm down dear...;)

wrinx

·
Registered
3,189 Posts

I've got a facelift 1.9 JTD (105) which I'm very happy with. If I wasn't doing lots of miles I'd buy a GTA.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts