Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi am totally new to this site but would love any advice given. Went out today to buy a Golf but have fallen in love with an Alfa 147. Its second hand and has 30000 miles on the clock. Should I do the sensible thing and stick with a golf or follow my heart and get this fab car. I've had a quick look and a few people have mentioned that I should expect to have to pay quite a bit for the upkeep etc. Also I've heard that its not the most reliable of cars. What should I do????

Thanks
Kate:lol:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
depends on the 147, petrol may have problems ahead, diseasel, pretty much bulletproof

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
We'll all say the 147 :)

Get a box and suffer with common problems that you'd get with any make of car or get a car with style, which will make you smile every time you drive it.
If you continue your membership here, it will provide you with answers to almost any technical query you might have and you'll make friends in the process :thumbs:

How many replies have you had from the VW/Golf forum :lol:?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for prompt help. Its a petrol. What kind of "problems" could we be talking? Its good to know that support is available if required. And no haven't posted on VW site. My Golf has lost all its appeal!!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
We need more details of both the 147 and the Golf.

Edit - Just noticed you're in Tyne & Wear... Where did you see the 147?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a 147 1.6 TS Lusso with 38000 miles. A good bet or not? So very tempted but it needs to reliable. Was going to get RAC to do a check. Good idea do you think?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Its a 147 1.6 TS Lusso with 38000 miles. A good bet or not? So very tempted but it needs to reliable. Was going to get RAC to do a check. Good idea do you think?
Lusso is the better spec, has some nice toys, I used to have the same car, adequate power and nice to drive, what year is it?

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
I think I've found your car on Autotrader... The shiny red one?

Firstly the car is advertised as a Lusso but its actually a Ti which is a higher spec.

More importantly, it must have its timing belt and tensioners changed every 36000 miles or 3 years, whichever comes first. I the garage cannot give you a receipt for this then you must assume it hasn’t been done and allow approx. £400 to have it done immediately.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
2006. What kind of toys? Did you have any problems with it?
There were 2 spec levels not including special editions, turismo (pauper spec) Lusso (luxury spec) lusso has dual zone climate control as standard plus a more powerful engine, the early 1.6 turismo's were only 105bhp. Yours being a 2006 it should have had a lot of the earlier problems fixed, Alfa had a policy of randomly upgrading parts that broke regularly throughout the lifetime of the 147, by 2006 pretty much all the parts that were prone to failure had been redesigned where economical to do so or just left as a 'quirky feature' of the car.

I had quite a few problems with mine but only because it was a fairly early car (2002) with some of the early poorly designed components that broke and had a knock on effect of breaking others bits, I fixed it all with upgraded parts during my ownership and touch wood I don't think the new ower has had any issues at all (~he still has it and is a member on here).

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
15,637 Posts
do you want to be interesting Kate

or

dull Kate?
Or do you want to be known as ''kate that calls out the AA quite often because she has an Alfa'' or do you want to be known as '' Kate that gets everywhere in her car without breaking down or worrying about random noises''.

the choice is yours ;)

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
touche :lol:

but think of all the new friends Kate will meet, AA men, garage mechanics, solicitors when it gets ugly....etc etc

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Or do you want to be known as ''kate that calls out the AA quite often because she has an Alfa'' or do you want to be known as '' Kate that gets everywhere in her car without breaking down or worrying about random noises''.

the choice is yours ;)
I've been driving Alfas for 8 years and have never had to call out a recovery service once.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
best advice I can give is look at the tyres, if they are a premium make, GoodYear, Pirelli, Michelin, Continental Dunlop or Bridgestone the car will have been looked after well and you are pretty safe to go with either, if they are made in China cheapies, you know that the previous owner has likely to have cut costs elsewhere as well that will bite the next owner on the backside.

HTH

1 - 20 of 69 Posts