Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one week to go before next MOT and the Airbag light comes on and won't go off.

Airbag light came on as usual after turning ignition, then went out, and then came back on. No blinking, steady light. Checked Airbag connections all seems fine, no pre-tensioners so its not them. I have looked for other threads but none seem to help, or missed them in mild panic.

I don't have equipment to connect to ECU etc. to see what is wrong. There is a Airbag on ebay which would fit but its 1994 so not sure about that, and it may not be the problem. I'm in North Dorset, not sure who to go to for help.

All help and ideas gratefully received.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Feel your pain, my wife's audi cabriolet has the same problem, airbag control box diagnosed as the issue but only after the codes were read. If you are in Dorset Autolusso in Bournemouth might be a good starting point. Hope it works out ok.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
You really do need to read the AB ECU to find out what it isn't happy with and also to reset it. So many potential reasons for that light to stay on....

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Aye you need the code read so you can find out whats wrong. Or least point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I had a problem like this with ours - read the code and it was complaining about an intermittent connection to the passenger airbag warning light. After much messing and fiddling, including swapping the airbag ECU and dash, it went way,.......

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Even if you manage to source the problem, swap airbag, etc., it will still remain lit. The AB light does not come off when the problem goes away. You need to reset it. I have recently bought cables and software and have managed to communicate with my 164. More info here: Alfa Romeo 164 Register.com ? View topic - Alfa164Diagnostics

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
MES 'free' version and suitable interface leads will do the job for the airbag ECU. I got a cheap K line adapter that worked well and a full set of adapter cables for about £20 all-in. Really must get round to buying the full version of MES - it's a great tool for the money.

As V6junky rightly says, you need to communicate with the ECU and reset the fault light once the problem is fixed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody for your replies. A great help to know that their are others who have had similar problems. I have been in touch with Autolusso Bournemouth, they were busy at the time and I am waiting for a return call.

V6junky thanks for the advice and the great link to the 164 Register and the diag. software. I want to set up my own connection and diagnostic system for my 164. But have no idea where to get the correct cables or MES system as ChrisS mentions.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Sincere apologies....I only just spotted you have a 164 :( I was talking about the issues I had with my 166 so a very different system involved.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ChrisS thank you anyway for your input. Sad to say Autolusso are unable to help as they no longer have the diagnostic equipment for 164s.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:
Well so far No trouble connecting to engine ECU. But even though the lights all flicker as if they are passing info, I cannot connect to the Airbag ECU, it seems to know there's something there but times out.

Could this be a duff ECU? Or is there a blown fuse somewhere? Or are TS Airbag ECUs different to V6 Airbag ECUs?

I can see hair pulling out time approaching!

Any and all help gratefully received!

Cheers! Mark

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good News! All fixed, airbag light now behaves as it should, all ok.

Thanks to everybody who helped me!

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
What was the issue?
I might have opted for the old sticker over the light trick... ;-)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Scottyf. After being unable to get a reaction from the airbag ECU I took up the carpets etc, in the passenger foot well to find the ECU. Eventually found it, must have been put there beyond the gear stick linkages by Houdini himself! I could just reach it with fingertips. After much cursing and a great deal of swearing, managed to disconnect the ECU plug. Which was blue/green from water corrosion!
Managed to find a working one online which took a week to arrive. Cleaned the ECU plug carefully. Connected the new airbag ECU, and with muttered prayers to the machine spirit fumbled with the keys as I turned the ignition on. The Airbag light came on and ......went out!

I went and had a long, long drink!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Sounds like you deserve it and great post andglad you fixed it without too mmuch annoyance. Kind of...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts